PDA

View Full Version : Why is mine always soo different!

Mildflame
October 19th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I got put onto Ubuntu by a mate who uses only Ubuntu, i was nervous about installing another operating system onto my newish laptop, i had reinstalled O.S's all the time but wasn't too sure if i wanted to mess around too much with my newish laptop. I have struggled to enjoy Ubuntu because i have not found much about it that makes it better than Windows 7. I have been using windows OS's for 9-10 years and dislike mac OS's (although i like quite a few mac apps) i don't lately i thought i'd give Ubuntu a chance to shine and updated it to 11.10 and installed Macbuntu and Compiz. I have had loads of issues when i try changing stuff, i also enabled the 3D desktop cube changer thingy but dont know what buttons to press ect. I watch tutorials on YouTube but the start thing i have is different, mine dosn't have the tabs at the bottom, it goes full screen but still part transparent and i cant search under categories.
If anyone can tell me why mine is soo different please let me know! :D

My computer:
64 Bit, Acer Aspire 5740G, 8Gb ram, ATI HD 5470-512Mb videoRam, 640Gb Hdd, Intel i5 2.26 Ghz prosessor, DvD+RW.

feedmebits
October 19th, 2011, 09:26 AM
If you have compiz installed to rotate the cube you press ctrl+alt and then left click and move your mouse around and the cube wil rotate. You can add your own wallpapers if you go to configcompiz settings manager under settings, and search for wallpaper. You can also change more settings there to your like. And you can Als go to settings Simple CompizConfig Manager to set a default configuration. I set mine to Ultimate and then to change specific settings you can change those under settings--> CompizConfig Manager. Hope that helps?

InterNut
October 19th, 2011, 02:25 PM
you can always look in the compiz settings, under almost all "plugins" you can find (and change) the keybindings.

mcduck
October 19th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I watch tutorials on YouTube but the start thing i have is different, mine dosn't have the tabs at the bottom, it goes full screen but still part transparent and i cant search under categories.
If anyone can tell me why mine is soo different please let me know! :D

When finding tutorials from the web pay attention to the version of Ubuntu they were made for.

Ubuntu 11.10 was released just 6 days ago, it's more than likely that the tutorial you are following uses some older version.

Mildflame
October 20th, 2011, 02:13 AM
whenever i try to change somthing it also disables window decorations and unix :(

thatguruguy
October 20th, 2011, 02:17 AM
It's Linux, not Unix.

You may want to try this tutorial (http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/05/enable-desktop-cube-in-unity-ubuntu.html) to enable the cube.

I'd suggest switching over to the Unity2D desktop when making changes to Compiz, because Compiz can crash when changes are made "live" in the 3D desktop.