PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to revert back to Natty?

kelargo
October 17th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Ok, on one laptop, I upgraded to Oneiric and its not working out.
I need to be able to use NoMachine's NX. After i connect, all I get is a desktop with no functionality at all.

How can I go back to Natty?

23dornot23d
October 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM
You would have to re-install 11.04 I believe .... possibly in a fresh clean partition .....

Solutions are coming in for some of the upgrade problems

so if you want to try to resolve the problems with 11.10 now .....

many solutions have been found and posted ....

Check the link below ...... if you need any advise on some of them please continue in this thread and we will try to answer them ....

raja.genupula
October 17th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Ok, on one laptop, I upgraded to Oneiric and its not working out.
I need to be able to use NoMachine's NX. After i connect, all I get is a desktop with no functionality at all.

How can I go back to Natty?

Could you please tell us what are the problems you're facing ? we will do our best to solve your issues.

clegends
October 17th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Am having a lot of issues myself, and am also considering going back to Natty, and reinstalling Oneiric on a separate partition to help troubleshoot bugs... feels a bit undercooked to me.

Anyway, if you're not able to sort out your issues (though I recommend hanging around and trying first), you need to wipe and reinstall. Are you familiar with the Linux filesystem? All of your data is under /home/user. You can back up this data to an external hard drive, then restore it to a folder on your new install. You can then manually restore things from there. The best way I found to install Linux is to have a separate /home partition, so that if you ever need to wipe your system (omg! hearsay!) you can do it and (more or less) restore everything back the way it was. I.e., your settings are mostly saved. By default, Ubuntu tends to make you install on one partition, no idea why.

Anyway, good luck. If you can't figure out your problems, and need to reinstall post again if you get stuck. Cheers.

23dornot23d
October 17th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Am having a lot of issues myself, and am also considering going back to Natty, and reinstalling Oneiric on a separate partition to help troubleshoot bugs... feels a bit undercooked to me.
If all people did install 11.10 in a fresh partition alongside there Natty 11.04 version in the first place .............

All I would have had to say to them if it FAILED ..... :(

Would be carry on using your 11.04 by choosing it in the boot menu at start up ...... :D

shame I get no say in this though ..... people press upgrade ..... Its a one way trip ....

reinstalling Oneiric on a separate partition to help troubleshoot bugs... feels a bit undercooked to me.
Where ever did this come from can you give me a link to where someone said that ?

We want to solve the problems on the one that they installed ......

Otherwise a alternative is a clean install of 11.04 alongside there existing install ....... IMHO

Feel free to give another option .......

you need to wipe and reinstall
That is not the case either .... you can create a clean 20 - 30 Gig partition and install a
clean version of 11.04 ..... without touching the other upgraded version
( which at a later date could be upgraded when the BUGS are sorted ) .

Ubuntu tends to make you install on one partition, no idea why.
This is not right .. there is an option when installing at the bottom for manual partitioning (*called something else) where you can set your partitions as you want to ..........