PDA

View Full Version : arithmetic operation with bash commands

ubu87
October 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to do a multiplication between two variables using bash commands, but I still get errors, please can someone tell me where I'm wrong?

U_SAMPLES_NUMBER=30
V_SAMPLES_NUMBER=30

numberPatternSamples=$("expr(""("$U_SAMPLES_NUMBER+1")"\*"("$V_SAMPLES_NUMBER+1")"")")

echo "$numberPatternSamples"

MadCow108
October 16th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I'd just do it like this:

echo $[$[$U_SAMPLES_NUMBER + 1] * $[$V_SAMPLES_NUMBER + 1]]

or use bc to get some reasonably readable code:

echo "($U_SAMPLES_NUMBER + 1) * ($V_SAMPLES_NUMBER + 1)" | bc

ezramorris
October 16th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I'm trying to do a multiplication between two variables using bash commands, but I still get errors, please can someone tell me where I'm wrong?

Hi,

There are a few things wrong here, and there's a few things you have to understand in order to get this to work. :-)

expr is a program. It's not part of bash. This means that when you run it, you separate its arguments with spaces, like any other program.
If you have a look at the expr manual page (man expr), you'll see that everything has to be passed as a different argument. This means that if you wanted to do 1+3, you would have to do expr 1 + 3, that is 1 is the first argument, + the second and 3 the third.
Placing quotes round something means that it is literally passed to the command. Quoting can take the following forms:

A \ makes the next character be passed literally.
"..." will make the enclosed string be passed literally, except variables will be expanded first.
'...' will make the enclosed string be passed completely literally.

You probably already know that $(...) captures the output of a command to store in a variable.

So from that, you should be able to see why the following works:

numberPatternSamples="$(expr \( "$U_SAMPLES_NUMBER" + 1 \) \* \( "$V_SAMPLES_NUMBER" + 1 \))"

One final thing. Bash also has its own internal arithmetic functionality using the $((...)) operators, so you don't really need to call an external program:

numberPatternSamples="$(( (U_SAMPLES_NUMBER+1)*(V_SAMPLES_NUMBER+1) ))"

It also looks a bit nicer too. :-)

Hope this helps,
Ezra.

ubu87
October 16th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks a lot ezra, now I've understood the difference, and they work both :p

Thanks also to mad cow, just the first instruction that you wrote doesn't work, The second is ok!