PDA

View Full Version : what's the deal with SVGALib?

littleknowledge
October 16th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Good day, I have been a C programmer for a while but mostly for backend stuff like cgi, but i have been wanting to get into GUI programming. I found a library called SVGALib which seems to be a library that is still being used. I notice a lot of low level software uses it, I like the fact that it does not rely on any other technology like X. But it seems like the SVGALib community is dormant.

I bought a book on amazon but turned out to be VERY outdated, i tried installing the pre-compiled svgalib binaries using apt-get which installs but it doesnt seem to work (basic programs wont compile). My question is does anyone know what happened to this project and is there a modern substitute preferably one that is low level as svgalib but that has an active community...

Bachstelze
October 16th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Do yourself a favor and use a GUI toolkit like GTK or Qt. No one who doesn't have X is going to run your program.

littleknowledge
October 17th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Do yourself a favor and use a GUI toolkit like GTK or Qt. No one who doesn't have X is going to run your program.

I don't deny you are right. Does anyone know what happened to the community though? Ubuntu still provides the pre-compiled packages for it.... which means there is support for it SOMEWHERE.... I didn't want to learn this library to make a career out of it, rather to provide an interface for my networking tools straight from boot bypassing the overhead of such a sophisticated system that is X. ncurses isnt cutting it any more.

kerryhall
March 21st, 2012, 08:47 PM
AFAIK it still works, I've been playing around with it a bit (and it's awesome!) There are some cool examples here:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/apps/graphics/hacks/svgalib/!INDEX.html

BTW if you manage to get a super thin window manager going, let me know, I would love to use it haha. I actually wrote something like this awhile ago on a Pentium 1 but alas it was lost while moving to a new house.

If you write it in C maybe I'll try porting it to x86 assembly for the hell of it heh.

What would be cool too is having hardware accelerated OpenGL drawing without X, I think this might actually be in the works.

ysangkok
February 27th, 2013, 02:14 AM
it is indeed in the works, see https://github.com/dvdhrm/kmscon