PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] (C) - Is this code using malloc and free correctly?

trilobite
October 16th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Hi all -
I'm just poking around with doing a few things in C without using library functions.
( I'm doing this to become more familiar with pointers (and now malloc). )
This code (to get a substring from a string) works fine, but I'm just wondering if I'm using malloc and free correctly.

/* Return a substring from a string. */
/* This code is released to the public domain. */
/* "Share and enjoy...." ;) */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <ctype.h>
#include <malloc.h>

char *substr(char *str, int first, int last)
{
char *ret = malloc(80);

int i;
int j=0;

for (i=first; i<last; i++)
{
ret[j] = str[i];
j++;
}

ret[j] = '\0' ;
return ret;

free(ret);

}

int main()
{

char *test = "averyverylongstringindeed";

printf("%s \n",substr(test,4,11) );

return 0;
}

Just trying to get comfortable with malloc and free, so confirmation that this code is Ok (or correction of it) would be good.
Thanks -
- trilobite

Bachstelze
October 16th, 2011, 12:24 AM
No. When the function hits return, it returns (i.e. exits), so free() is never called. You must call free() in main after you print.

trilobite
October 16th, 2011, 12:39 AM
No. When the function hits return, it returns (i.e. exits), so free() is never called. You must call free() in main after you print.

Hi Bachstelze, thanks for that -

Unfortunately, I've just tried that (moving the "free" from the function into main() ), and I get the error "ret undeclared". Hmm...

I could always make the function "void" and simply print the substring inside it, but I was wanting to keep it as returning a string (and preferably using malloc as well). Looks like that may not be possible.
- trilobite

Bachstelze
October 16th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Of course you have to store the return value in a variable so you can free() it afterwards.

char *p = substr(test, 4, 11);
printf("%s\n", p);
free(p);

Note that different calls to substr() will return different values, so you can't do

printf("%s\n", substr(test, 4, 11));
free(substr(test, 4, 11));

trilobite
October 16th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Of course you have to store the return value in a variable so you can free() it afterwards.

char *p = substr(test, 4, 11);
printf("%s\n", p);
free(p);

Note that different calls to substr() will return different values, so you can't do

printf("%s\n", substr(test, 4, 11));
free(substr(test, 4, 11));

Hi again, and thanks!
That works perfectly! It's good to now have a useful simple example for using malloc and free.

( **So** obvious when I saw your code.
Much better.... :) )

Thanks again! Bye for now -
- trilobite

cgroza
October 16th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Also, may I suggest that you use the difference between last and first as your argument for malloc?
What happens if:

substr(very_long_string, 1, 1000)

??

80 won't be enough.