PDA

View Full Version : Unix/Linux in non-CS/EEE fields

skytreader
October 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Hi. I'm creating a report on the feasibility of open source alternatives to be presented to a group of department heads, who, for all I know, have had little to no experience with Lunix systems, save maybe for Macs. Hope you can help me.

I see Unix/Linux a lot in CS and EEE laboratories. No surprises there. But are you aware of Lunix use in other fields?

I've seen it used in Physics too, of course (I've read somewhere that the world's fastest super computer or something is Linux-powered). But in other Engineering fields (Mechanical, Chemical, Industrial, etc.)?

I'm not sure if those from Math has a deep need for Lunix, though. I'm not even sure how much they need computers aside for, maybe, LaTeX. I'm guessing that since they can run Mathematica (and LaTeX) on Windows, they don't bother much with Lunix?

And those from Biology and Chemistry? Will I have strong points to sell open source to those crowds?

Links to articles/web pages that show non CS/EEE/Physics use of Lunix systems (or open-source, at least) will be much welcome but your testimonials won't go amiss either. Thanks!

krapp
October 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I'd like to see adoption in the humanities, so I'll watch this thread with interest.

skytreader
October 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I'd like to see adoption in the humanities, so I'll watch this thread with interest.

Ha! Sadly, my audience will be all from sciences. But yes, it'd be interesting to find open source in the humanities/arts discipline. Throw them in as well! (They probably won't make it to my report though.)

Will animation count in the humanities/arts discipline? Here's for starters then:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4803

http://www.disneyanimation.com/technology/opensource.html

thatguruguy
October 15th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Is this for a class, or something?

Because it sounds like it's for a class, or something.

mcduck
October 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Most really big movie and animation studios use Linux, if not for anything else then at least for the rendering farms used for the final production quality processing.

They also tend to take part in development of applications suitable for that kind of work.

Sony, Pixar, DreamWorks, ILM and all the others are Linux users.

And of course Linux does have all the tools needed for smaller-scale productions as well. Seriously, just Blender alone is capable of doing pretty much anything related to moving pictures. Add tools like Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus and Imagemagick and of course all the professional-grade audio tools and you'll have pretty much everything an artist or designer needs (although most will still complain about not having the Adobe programs they are used to :D)

I'm a multimedia designer, and I do almost all my work on Linux, only going for Mac & Windows when I'm working with other people and need to use the same programs they are using.

euler_fan
October 16th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Considering how many people I see running around in humanities-type departments with Apple laptops I suspect Unix is getting a fair bit of play these days.

angryfirelord
October 17th, 2011, 12:38 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=uses+for+linux

You know, if you get an assignment, it's up to you to do it instead of letting a message board do it for you. ;)

krapp
October 17th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Considering how many people I see running around in humanities-type departments with Apple laptops I suspect Unix is getting a fair bit of play these days.

I don't think Apple usually counts. I think you have to be aware of running a Unix-like system in order for it to count. I doubt most Apple users are.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=uses+for+linux

You know, if you get an assignment, it's up to you to do it instead of letting a message board do it for you. ;)

I don't see why people think this a homework assignment. Looks more like an administrative issue the thread starter is trying to think about.

cmat
October 17th, 2011, 06:16 AM
We use it quite a bit in Physics. Mostly Linux and Mac boxes where I used to attend.