PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Radeon X850 listed as Unknown

mickiebims
October 15th, 2011, 02:52 AM
First off I'm absolutely brand new to linux and ubuntu. I'm computer savvy and a friend recommended I try it out since my old windows hdd gave up on me.

I'm very impressed and really like this and will hope to learn more about it as I go along.

Question is this:
Under System Info I see Graphics, Driver Unknown, Experience Standard.

Everything seems to be running well I'm just curious if there's a driver or something that I need to enable. Searching the forums and the web it seems Ubuntu should support my card the radeon x850. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mick

Gs Dewd
October 15th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I to have the same problem with a Radeon x1550 xge. I think I may try installing 11.04 on this drive since I had no problems with it and then just upgrading to 11.10 and see if that fixes it. I did the smart thing and am doing the testing this time on a spare drive. I still have my great install of 11.04 on another drive that is not hooked to the computer right now so i can always just plug it back up if 11.10 doesn't workout right now.

Gs Dewd
October 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Okay I think I may have the answer. I actually repaired it by accident. What I found (after the fact) is that open gl is not enables automatically. How I found this was I installed Cario dock. When I launched it (the open gl version of the 2 installed) it will say open gl isn't enabled and do you want to enable it. I said yes. I set up the dock how I am used to the i did a reboot and now everything is good. 3d works fine and now under system info my graphics is listed as Gallium 0.4 on Ati Rv 515. No I have everything installed that I had installed under 11.04 ( used the back up and re install packages commands)All Is well