PDA

View Full Version : Mythbuntu 11.10 upgrade issues

colin.mcgregor
October 14th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Small note, Mythbuntu 11.10 is out and I am doing the upgrade on my two MythTV boxes (a living room backend/frontend box and a bedroom frontend only box). Bottom line, issues on boxes....

On both boxes, issues getting X to start. After rebooting I can do a <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F4> log in to a BASH prompt type "startx" and all is well there, but that is not being handled properly automatically.

On the frontend only box, there are audio issues (read, no audio) and image quality problems with HD recordings.

I'll post more as I get to the bottom of this.

Colin McGregor

thatguruguy
October 14th, 2011, 09:37 PM
What kind of video card do you have?

colin.mcgregor
October 14th, 2011, 09:56 PM
What kind of video card do you have?

Both are nVidia GeForce cards, one an 8200 the other a 6200.

superm1
October 14th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Small note, Mythbuntu 11.10 is out and I am doing the upgrade on my two MythTV boxes (a living room backend/frontend box and a bedroom frontend only box). Bottom line, issues on boxes....

On both boxes, issues getting X to start. After rebooting I can do a <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F4> log in to a BASH prompt type "startx" and all is well there, but that is not being handled properly automatically.

On the frontend only box, there are audio issues (read, no audio) and image quality problems with HD recordings.

Colin McGregor

There has been some reports of the lightdm transition not working properly for some people. Check your logs in /var/log/lightdm/

If there are errors about a unity-greeter, please remove the package 'unity-greeter' and make sure 'mythbuntu-lightdm-theme' is installed.

You may have to reconfigure automatic login too (there is no longer a GUI tool).

Here's a sample /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf if your automatic login needs to be fixed.

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user=supermario
autologin-user-timeout=0
autologin-session=lightdm-autologin
user-session=mythbuntu
allow-guest=false

nickrout
October 14th, 2011, 11:14 PM

Colin McGregor

when you go to a terminal don't use startx, try
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

superm1
October 14th, 2011, 11:15 PM
when you go to a terminal don't use startx, try
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Actually, there was a transition from GDM to LightDM that was supposed to happen automatically for 11.10. So it should be

sudo start lightdm
or
sudo stop lightdm

To start/stop.

colin.mcgregor
October 14th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Actually, there was a transition from GDM to LightDM that was supposed to happen automatically for 11.10. So it should be

sudo start lightdm
or
sudo stop lightdm

To start/stop.

Interesting. As noted startx works (run as an non-root user). On the other hand:

sudo start lightdm

dies an ugly death. So, what environment variables are different...

ulysses768
October 15th, 2011, 03:03 AM
I had the same problem as well. I installed mythbuntu-lightdm-theme and mythbuntu-desktop. Boots with no problems now. Unfortunately I now have pink vertical lines running through my playback. I thought it was a video card issue but I have the same problem with intel, nvidia, and amd/ati cards on local and remote frontends.

superm1
October 15th, 2011, 03:05 AM
So both of you encountered this problem specifically because you didn't have mythbuntu-desktop installed, correct?

I just want to understand how prevalent this problem is.

As for your pink lines, that's a bit disconcerting - I haven't encountered that on the NVIDIA boxes I was testing.

ulysses768
October 15th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I did have installed in 11.04, no other *Ubuntus, few packages added, and no ppas.

slaterson
October 15th, 2011, 08:15 AM
i am having some rather significant issues as well. everything was working great prior to the upgrade from 11.04 (which was upgraded from 10.10, which was upgraded from 10.04 - all without issue).

mythtv-backend is not automatically starting. i've got to manually start it when restarting the computer.

audio is not fully functional. i have several sound cards installed in the box - an hda-intel, an nvidia hd (via hdmi), two rme96 and a usb mic included from a webcam. the rme96 cards now fail to be probed with:

[ 12.618247] cannot find the slot for index 1 (range 0-1), error: -16
[ 12.618253] RME Digi96: probe of 0000:02:00.0 failed with error -16
[ 12.618257] cannot find the slot for index 1 (range 0-1), error: -16
[ 12.618259] RME Digi96: probe of 0000:02:01.0 failed with error -16

these were all working perfectly prior to the upgrade, i'm not sure what has gone wrong here.

auto login is not working. i followed the advice above re: lightdm.conf and uninstalling unity-greeter (this solved the big issue of having a blank screen, huge step forward, still a long way to go yet).

i'm kind of frustrated. i want my fully functional system back, and so does the wife. :) all help is appreciated!

slaterson
October 15th, 2011, 05:10 PM
small update... i can start mythtv-backend manually after the system is booted. checking the logs (after some sleep) some of myth backend config files cannot be read, a good indication of why its not starting automatically.

the reason the config files cannot be read? they are on a nfs mounted /home partition. i have tried modifying the 'start on' conditions for mythtv-backend to:

start on (local-filesystems and remote-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=eth0 and started udev-finish)

however no dice yet. how do i ensure that all remote file systems are mounted prior to starting mythtv-backend? this was working great in 11.04. i need to do the same thing with lightdm. basically, i need as many services as possible to wait until the network is up and all filesystems are mounted.

superm1
October 15th, 2011, 06:25 PM
small update... i can start mythtv-backend manually after the system is booted. checking the logs (after some sleep) some of myth backend config files cannot be read, a good indication of why its not starting automatically.

the reason the config files cannot be read? they are on a nfs mounted /home partition. i have tried modifying the 'start on' conditions for mythtv-backend to:

start on (local-filesystems and remote-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=eth0 and started udev-finish)

however no dice yet. how do i ensure that all remote file systems are mounted prior to starting mythtv-backend? this was working great in 11.04. i need to do the same thing with lightdm. basically, i need as many services as possible to wait until the network is up and all filesystems are mounted.
You can try starting on the finish of mountall-net perhaps?

slaterson
October 15th, 2011, 07:43 PM
You can try starting on the finish of mountall-net perhaps?

unfortunately that didn't work. :( i'm stumped at the moment.

ulysses768
October 16th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately I now have pink vertical lines running through my playback. I thought it was a video card issue but I have the same problem with intel, nvidia, and amd/ati cards on local and remote frontends.

Just in case anyone else had this problem. The source of the trouble is libmpeg2. Switching the playback to ffmpeg and xvideo fixed the problem.

colin.mcgregor
October 17th, 2011, 07:34 PM
There has been some reports of the lightdm transition not working properly for some people. Check your logs in /var/log/lightdm/

If there are errors about a unity-greeter, please remove the package 'unity-greeter' and make sure 'mythbuntu-lightdm-theme' is installed.

You may have to reconfigure automatic login too (there is no longer a GUI tool).

Here's a sample /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf if your automatic login needs to be fixed.

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=mythbuntu
allow-guest=false

This is the guts of the solution to the startx issue. In summary:

$ sudo su
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get remove unity-greeter
# apt-get install lightdm
# cd /etc/lightdm/
# mv lightdm.conf lightdm.conf.old
# pico lightdm.conf

In the lightdm.conf file put the following:

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user=<<your mythtv user ID, ie: superm1 or whatever>>
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=mythbuntu
allow-guest=false

The above helps a lot, but ... I still am seeing audio issues on my client only box.

superm1
October 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM

$ sudo su
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# cd /etc/lightdm/
# pico lightdm.conf

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=mythbuntu
allow-guest=false

The above helps a lot, but ... I still am seeing audio issues on my client only box.

Can someone who encountered the problems with lightdm please make sure to file an upgrade bug:

ubuntu-bug update-manager

We need to get to the bottom of why update-manager decided to make these bad decisions in the upgrade, so that will file the logs from the upgrade into a bug report.

Thanks,

colin.mcgregor
October 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Can someone who encountered the problems with lightdm please make sure to file an upgrade bug:

ubuntu-bug update-manager

We need to get to the bottom of why update-manager decided to make these bad decisions in the upgrade, so that will file the logs from the upgrade into a bug report.

Thanks,

Done, see: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/876945

straxus
October 18th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Just in case anyone else had this problem. The source of the trouble is libmpeg2. Switching the playback to ffmpeg and xvideo fixed the problem.

I can confirm this behavior.

nickrout
October 19th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I can confirm this behavior.

Time to change anyway, libmpeg2 will be removed from 0.25.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25

markofealing
October 19th, 2011, 09:48 PM

$ sudo su
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# cd /etc/lightdm/
# pico lightdm.conf

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=mythbuntu
allow-guest=false

The above resolved my problem of a blank screen after an upgrade.

I fixed mine by SSHing in to the Mythbuntu server from my laptop and then making the changes, followed by a reboot.

Not sure how this sort of bug got past the testers!

Many thanks.

slaterson
October 20th, 2011, 03:22 AM
mythtv-backend is not automatically starting. i've got to manually start it when restarting the computer.

audio is not fully functional. i have several sound cards installed in the box - an hda-intel, an nvidia hd (via hdmi), two rme96 and a usb mic included from a webcam.

auto login is not working. i followed the advice above re: lightdm.conf and uninstalling unity-greeter (this solved the big issue of having a blank screen, huge step forward, still a long way to go yet).

i've made some progress on my issues and wanted to share. not fully there yet. i could use some suggestions...

mythtv-backend is still not starting automatically. i've tried adding some dependencies to the service to ensue all remote filesystems are mounted, but that actually made the problem worse (i.e., no login screen at all!).

audio - i've got my rme96 cards up and running again. i ran an update a yesterday, there was a new alsa-utils package and some other packages included (i didn't go through the list carefully) and pow, the cards are now probed and functional. great, but this exposed another issue...

the group of all devices in /dev/snd/* is being set upon reboot to a group on the local box that doesn't exist in my ldap directory, GID 29. this is the audio group in mythbuntu, of course. however, i have been using GID 18 for audio, as this is what the entire rest of my network uses. so, i deleted the group from the mythbuntu box (groupdel audio), then changed the group of the /dev/snd/* devices to 'audio', which indeed changed them to GID 18 correctly. bam, the sound works and is accessible by the right users. now i reboot, the group is reset to root (remember i deleted the local audio group GID 29). where do i set the GID that the sound devices should or prevent them from being reset upon reboot?

auto-login still isn't working for me. i have tried mucking with this a bit, but haven't dug in deep yet. i tried the first suggestion on this thread, which got me a functional login screen, just not an auto-login screen.

markofealing
October 20th, 2011, 07:38 AM
My mythtv backend is also not automatically starting after upgrading to 11.10 from 11.04. I also had the display issue you had (now fixed) as per this post.

I can start the backend manually from terminal. I'm using a native Linux file system EXT3, so I do not believe this issue is file system related as you suggest.

Which log files should I be looking at?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

markofealing
October 20th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I've now done some digging around as to why Mythbackend is not automatically starting:

1. mysql.txt is correctly sym linked and has the right ownership and permissions.

2. I can start mythbackend manually (ALT-F2) or add it in to Application Autostart, although on reboot this gets unticked?!? Using either method Mythbackend works so I think that this is correctly configured.

3. My mythbackend.log file is producing the following when mythbackend fails to start. I'm using a combined front/ backend and a static IP

Would you like to configure the database connection now? [no]
[console is not interactive, using default 'no']
2011-10-20 19:20:48.841 Deleting UPnP client...
2011-10-20 19:20:49.555 Failed to init MythContext.
2011-10-20 19:21:04.897 mythbackend version: fixes/0.24 [v0.24.1-80-g1de0431] www.mythtv.org
2011-10-20 19:21:04.938 Using runtime prefix = /usr
2011-10-20 19:21:04.971 Using configuration directory = /home/mythtv/.mythtv
2011-10-20 19:21:05.005 Empty LocalHostName.
2011-10-20 19:21:05.039 Using localhost value of mythtvtest
2011-10-20 19:21:05.084 New DB connection, total: 1
2011-10-20 19:21:05.114 Unable to connect to database!
2011-10-20 19:21:05.148 Driver error was [1/2002]:
QMYSQL: Unable to connect
Database error was:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

.................................................. ..............................
2011-10-20 19:21:07.227 UPnPautoconf() - No UPnP backends found
2011-10-20 19:21:07.260 No UPnP backends found

No UPnP backends found

Would you like to configure the database connection now? [no]
[console is not interactive, using default 'no']
2011-10-20 19:21:07.505 Deleting UPnP client...
2011-10-20 19:21:08.225 Failed to init MythContext.

If I run mythbackend via ALT-F2, nothing gets written to the log file and MythFrontend works fine.

Any ideas as to what is going on and why is this suddenly happening since the 11.10 upgrade?:(

nickrout
October 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Is mythbackend trying to start before mysqld? That's what it looks like.

slaterson
October 21st, 2011, 04:29 AM
mythtv-backend is still not starting automatically. i've tried adding some dependencies to the service to ensue all remote filesystems are mounted, but that actually made the problem worse (i.e., no login screen at all!).

audio - the group of all devices in /dev/snd/* is being set upon reboot to a group on the local box that doesn't exist in my ldap directory, GID 29. this is the audio group in mythbuntu, of course. however, i have been using GID 18 for audio, as this is what the entire rest of my network uses. so, i deleted the group from the mythbuntu box (groupdel audio), then changed the group of the /dev/snd/* devices to 'audio', which indeed changed them to GID 18 correctly. bam, the sound works and is accessible by the right users. now i reboot, the group is reset to root (remember i deleted the local audio group GID 29). where do i set the GID that the sound devices should or prevent them from being reset upon reboot?

auto-login still isn't working for me. i have tried mucking with this a bit, but haven't dug in deep yet. i tried the first suggestion on this thread, which got me a functional login screen, just not an auto-login screen.

a bit more progress on the audio piece. the permissions are set by a udev rule upon startup, /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules. i just edited this file to use the a group # (18, in my case) instead of the name (audio). my assumption is that udev is running prior to ldap being available, therefore when udev tries to set the group to 'audio', it doesn't exist. problem is, when there is an update to udev, it will overwrite my update.

still haven't figured out the mythbackend auto start problem. i have mysql set as a dependency to mythtv-backend in the start up scripts, but no dice.

GuiGuy
October 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=mythbuntu
allow-guest=false

Many thanks. The upgrade just about broke everything for me. Eventually I got it to boot (ESC wouldn't give me the recovery console :( ) but then went to a black screen and no cursor. The provided code got me past that and at least mythtv is running now and I can see the front end.

LIRC however is dead as and the Mythbuntu CP hangs when I try to reconfigure the Infrared RC. :(

slaterson
October 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
i'm considering wiping the hard drive and starting from zero.

do brand new installs of 11.10 work better than upgrading from 11.04? if so, i've got a reinstall to do this weekend.

markofealing
October 21st, 2011, 09:42 PM
Is mythbackend trying to start before mysqld? That's what it looks like.

On boot, if I press a key when I get up the Mythbuntu splash screen, I can see boot progress. This is what is happening:

Stopping userspace boot splash [ok]
Starting Mythbuntu backend [ok]
Waiting for Network configuration
Starting Mythbuntu backend [fail]
Stopping Mythbuntu backend [ok]
Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration

What you suggested and this message "Waiting for Network configuration" got me thinking! My PC has two network cards of which only one is connected and configured.

I checked my /etc/network/interfaces file and found the following:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# iface eth0 inet static
# address 192.168.1.112
# netmask 255.255.255.0
# broadcast 192.168.1.255
# gateway 192.168.1.254

auto eth1
# iface eth1 inet dhcp

iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.1.102
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.254

Commented out

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Rebooted and problem solved, message "Waiting for Network configuration" did not come up, Mythbuntu booted up normally and quickly and MythWelcome worked.

This was not a problem before the upgrade, so I assume Ubuntu 11.10 does more rigorous testing of your network interfaces before giving up. Unfortunately this takes nearly 2 minutes which is enough time for mythbackend to time.

Really happy :D and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

marcovanbeek
November 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I have just upgraded to 11:10 and had much the same problems. The box was a frontend only, but I also seemed to have a problem with lcdproc as well.

I also think that the slowness of Network Manager is down to all the extra modules it loads. My logs seemed to indicate it was trying to find bluetooth interfaces on a computer that has never had a bluetooth interface.

I manually configured /etc/network/interfaces, removed network manager and my boots were back to their normal fast speed.

Thanks for the lightdm tip!

Marco.

nwwoods
November 5th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Same issue here, upgrade from 11.04 and no apparent issues, but blank screen. Putting in a proper lightdm.conf and getting rid of unity-greeter got the screen back and let it go directly to the mythtv frontend.

Audio started working after rebooting with above config set - somehow it properly detected the Intel HDA digital audio.

The pink lines on playback seems to be connected to using libmpeg2 on TV Playback settings. Choose a setting that doesn't use it (or create a custom one) and playback seems normal.

bluexrider
November 5th, 2011, 11:30 PM
For all the upgrade issues I think I will hang back and let the bugs out the windows

:P

nickrout
November 6th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Same issue here, upgrade from 11.04 and no apparent issues, but blank screen. Putting in a proper lightdm.conf and getting rid of unity-greeter got the screen back and let it go directly to the mythtv frontend.

Audio started working after rebooting with above config set - somehow it properly detected the Intel HDA digital audio.

The pink lines on playback seems to be connected to using libmpeg2 on TV Playback settings. Choose a setting that doesn't use it (or create a custom one) and playback seems normal.

libmpeg2 support will be gone in mythtv 0.25 anyway, so it's a good time to get rid of it in preparation :)

pops66
November 10th, 2011, 05:15 AM

$ sudo su
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# cd /etc/lightdm/
# pico lightdm.conf

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=mythbuntu
allow-guest=false

Some people might want to know that I had to remove both .Xauthority and .ICEauthority

rm ~/.ICEauthority ~/.Xauthority

mart2072
November 20th, 2011, 06:36 PM
For all the upgrade issues I think I will hang back and let the bugs out the windows

:P

I think you're right. I've tried upgrading today and experienced all the issues mentioned here and I've given up and gone back to my back-up version. I don't think I'll bother trying again!

nickrout
November 20th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Why would anyone upgrade a working system?

mart2072
November 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Why would anyone upgrade a working system?
Because you might be under the mistaken belief that it improves the system? Why offer the option to upgrade if there is no point?

nickrout
November 20th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Because you might be under the mistaken belief that it improves the system? Why offer the option to upgrade if there is no point?

Because mythbuntu is part of the ubuntu ecosystem. myth is very sensitive, and it doesn't pay to change what works.

timswait
December 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Thank you to supermario and colin mcgregor, that saved me from a blank screen of doom after an upgrade to 11.10 :) Like others I upgraded a working system in the hope that the odd little niggle that wasn't quite right would be improved. Won't be doing that again in a hurry! The previous upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 was flawless though.
Everything seems to be working fine now except it doesn't auto login, I have to enter a password. Is there any easy fix for this, if not I'll just put up!

tonka256
February 17th, 2012, 10:45 AM
i'm considering wiping the hard drive and starting from zero.

do brand new installs of 11.10 work better than upgrading from 11.04? if so, i've got a reinstall to do this weekend.

I can confirm... upgrade - nightmare

so bombed and fresh install - 99%correct of the bat.

worth the extra bit...