Let's start breaking things!

Regards,
Effenberg

23dornot23d
October 13th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Wow that was quick ..... ;)

kolinab
October 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Looking forward to the next LTS. I think I have time to break some things too.

ubupirate
October 13th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Preparing to break system....

KGO!

ubername
October 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Here we go!

ventrical
October 13th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Faazsooom!! :)

kaldor
October 13th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Ubuntu 11.10 is out and I'm already bored.

effenberg0x0
October 13th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Me too. Hordes are now finding out they never really had hw accel in their VGA so they can't run Unity, others are now losing their launcher / panel while attempting to resize launcher icons via ccsm, etc. And we spent like the last months doing it daily.

Next Ubuntu should be virtually impossible to setup. Something with the look of Solaris but rewritten in a cobol-like undocumented new language. Users should have to cry, put fire in their PCs, etc before managing to have a X session running xeyes.

Since windows 8 brought tiles (oversized squared buttons) to the desktop, Unity has to evolve to something more absurd. I say a wheel of fortune in the middle of the desktop. You spin it with the mouse and it has to stop in the app you want to launch. Takes practice. OpenGL is mandatory. Old/weak VGA cards will tear so much that you'll feel like ripping your eyes out.

OBS: And then we start fiddling and finding workarounds over this for 6 months. Wouldn't that be fun?

Regards,
Effenberg

ventrical
October 13th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Iv'e been working with the concept of a 'Scroll-o-Dex' type desktop. That would be better than a wheel of fortune :)

ventrical
October 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Ubuntu 11.10 is out and I'm already bored.

Not me !! I'm still having a great time with Natty even.

But I'd like to get on with the PP testing too.

23dornot23d
October 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Any body got a bit of time on there hands to help out the people with failed upgrades .....

before the fun begins here .... ;)

the list is growing now ....

MacUntu
October 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Time to beat my 67 bug reports from Oneiric. Every day a bug report for the next 196 days! :D

effenberg0x0
October 13th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Iv'e been working with the concept of a 'Scroll-o-Dex' type desktop. That would be better than a wheel of fortune :)

I'd also like to see something like the underrated MS-BOB. That's the future: Touch screens, portable devices, anywhere-connectivity (WiFi, WiMax, etc), social networks and MS-BOB. We can always call it UBUNTU-JOHN.

Starks
October 13th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Wow. The Precise repos are up.

Every release they've been doing this sooner and sooner.

ventrical
October 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I'd also like to see something like the underrated MS-BOB. That's the future: Touch screens, portable devices, anywhere-connectivity (WiFi, WiMax, etc), social networks and MS-BOB. We can always call it UBUNTU-JOHN.

To hay with that!! I'm going to take my wireless mouse, mod it, strap it to my forehead and krinkle-flex my way through the next DE :) A "Look Ma . no hands !! can't touch this!" kind of approach.

Yep.. telepathy is the way of the future. No more griming up the gorilla glass ! :)

ventrical
October 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Wow. The Precise repos are up.

Every release they've been doing this sooner and sooner.

It's time to awaken grasshopper! :)

VinDSL
October 13th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Let's start breaking things!

Regards,
Effenberg
+1 :D

A man, after my own heart!

zhogan85
October 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Wow that was quick ..... ;)

+1

Very quick indeed.

tghe-retford
October 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I'm in:

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu precise (development branch)
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise

Bring on the breakage. :D

jppr
October 13th, 2011, 08:22 PM
sudo sed -i 's/oneiric/pangolin/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

donīt work :(

tghe-retford
October 13th, 2011, 08:31 PM

Try precise instead of pangolin.

ronacc
October 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends , step inside step inside .

afv
October 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM

precise, not pangolin. :)

(Ops, already answered, didn't see this 3rd page.)

PaulInBHC
October 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM
How long before I stop thinking that PP is funny?

xyzzyman
October 13th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I mount everything on the same partition (I save all my media on a seperate NTFS partition though), so in theory I should be able to clonezilla to another partition, update grub, boot into the 2nd copy and add the precise repository?

cariboo907
October 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I mount everything on the same partition (I save all my media on a seperate NTFS partition though), so in theory I should be able to clonezilla to another partition, update grub, boot into the 2nd copy and add the precise repository?

It may be just as fast to do a complete clean install, depending on how large your original install is.

Jack Brown
October 13th, 2011, 09:36 PM
How long before I stop thinking that PP is funny?

When you stop thinking about it...

PP!!!

jppr
October 13th, 2011, 09:54 PM
$ lsb_release -a

:)

ventrical
October 13th, 2011, 10:20 PM
In like Flynn:)

dale@ubuntu:~$

whew

Don't forget to:

sudo apt-get upgrade

paul_in_london
October 13th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I'm in :)

effenberg0x0
October 13th, 2011, 11:53 PM
LOL, same guys again... testing is a disease.
It's gonna be fun.

jerrylamos
October 14th, 2011, 01:31 AM
It may be just as fast to do a complete clean install, depending on how large your original install is.

Did a clean install of daily image 20111012. Well, nearly clean, bug #872845 wouldn't install grub onywhere, thie is a /dev/sda built in hard drive and a /dev/sdb USB hard drive where the "precise" and an ocelot are. See the launchpad bug for the messy recovery.

Did a replace all of oneiric with precise in /etc/apt/sources.list and sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade.

Surprise, it booted up. That means not much has changed yet. Wait until a few more incompatible stones (packages) get thrown in and the pot boils.

Jerry

VinDSL
October 14th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Wait until a few more incompatible stones (packages) get thrown in and the pot boils.[...]
But... they look like such Nice People. :D

LINKAGE: http://uds.ubuntu.com/

meborc
October 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM
about time to format the drive in my testing netbook :D

vagrale13
October 14th, 2011, 01:39 PM
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/9104/tmpgktvwt.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/tmpgktvwt.png/)

:KS
(http://imageshack.us)

BwackNinja
October 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
We're the people who use this as our main installs like they tell us we're not supposed to, aren't we?

Some issues make me worried though, like we're staying at totem 3.0 and not upgrading because 3.2 requires clutter and we don't want 3D as a requirement for watching videos. Maybe banshee will mature into the default video player.

Atamisk
October 16th, 2011, 10:38 PM
xxx@xxx-testing:~$ lsb_release -a

I'm on board! my testing HDD is updated with (X)ubuntu 12.04. First crack at testing, so i hope to learn a bunch.

xyzzyman
October 17th, 2011, 02:02 AM
We're the people who use this as our main installs like they tell us we're not supposed to, aren't we?

Some issues make me worried though, like we're staying at totem 3.0 and not upgrading because 3.2 requires clutter and we don't want 3D as a requirement for watching videos. Maybe banshee will mature into the default video player.

https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3/+build/2844183

Upgraded to 3.2 earlier today using those deb's.