PDA

View Full Version : Introducing New Dapper Laptops and Desktops

crichell
June 1st, 2006, 04:58 PM
Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce a brand new laptop and desktop line from System76.

Check it out - http://www.system76.com

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers - Carl

jan
June 2nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Hi Carl,

I've seen the link around before already and therefore had inspected the site even with its forum. Are you the owner? I must say i really like all, the idea, site design, forums - there was pretty much positive feedback so far I saw...

Possibly, I think you could face only on issue (among the hardware ones, but that depends on hw quality you sell) - troubles with ubuntu online updates, because it is always risk updating the system. I read some posts on your forum and you seem to handle it very nicely. However, maybee an "agreement" with Canonical developers of you testing all updates on the hw you sell could be reachable.

Anyways, HUGE thumbs upp for System76!!! :KS :KS :KS

Take care,
Jan

crichell
June 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM
Possibly, I think you could face only on issue (among the hardware ones, but that depends on hw quality you sell) - troubles with ubuntu online updates, because it is always risk updating the system. I read some posts on your forum and you seem to handle it very nicely. However, maybee an "agreement" with Canonical developers of you testing all updates on the hw you sell could be reachable.

That's a problem we've solved with our new generation. We provide a universal driver that takes care of any changes necessary when the kernel updates and we provide a repository so that as the driver improves (additional support or new features) it's automatically updated just as all the other software is.

Also check out our new Ubuntu Dapper Getting Started Guide (http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Dapper_Getting_Started_Guide). I hope it can be a great resource for beginners.

raublekick
June 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
Looks pretty awesome, and it seems that your prices have dropped tremendously!

Ubunted
June 12th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I'm having to physically restrain myself from buying one of those beautiful laptops.

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2006, 02:09 AM
they look good, but what kind of quality are they? I have purchased computers where I have had to plug the wiring back in upon receiving the product. I've had to reinstall drivers because they were not installed properly, etc. What assurances do I have that if I buy a machine like this for my family or fiance that it's going to be working without me having to geek around with it?

crichell
June 16th, 2006, 02:35 AM
I'm having to physically restrain myself from buying one of those beautiful laptops.

We have heard reports of people using straight jackets and even some system76 anonymous groups popping up.

they look good, but what kind of quality are they? I have purchased computers where I have had to plug the wiring back in upon receiving the product. I've had to reinstall drivers because they were not installed properly, etc. What assurances do I have that if I buy a machine like this for my family or fiance that it's going to be working without me having to geek around with it?

I'd be frustrated by those issues too. Quality is paramount.

Some recent reviews -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=191984&highlight=system76
http://demian0311.blogspot.com/2006/04/review-of-system76.html

Guns90
June 16th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I think you are off to a very good start. The products are attractive and reasonably priced. However, the exclusivity of Intel processors is disappointing. I am an ardent supporter of AMD, and as such, am deterred from considering a System76. If it weren't for AMD, I can't imagine how much Intel processors would cost today. Should System76 incorporate the AMD processor, I would definately be interested. Thanks for the tip though. I'll keep and eye on them.

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2006, 02:45 AM
The reviews look solid, although I have to question the credibility on the first one ;)

If you guys ever do a special or something I'll probably get one of the mini's for my fiance.

Do your purchases come with detailed info about the hardware included? I know that's important with linux.

crichell
June 16th, 2006, 02:59 AM
I think you are off to a very good start. The products are attractive and reasonably priced. However, the exclusivity of Intel processors is disappointing. I am an ardent supporter of AMD, and as such, am deterred from considering a System76. If it weren't for AMD, I can't imagine how much Intel processors would cost today. Should System76 incorporate the AMD processor, I would definately be interested. Thanks for the tip though. I'll keep and eye on them.

I'm sure your thinking laptops but check out the desktops:

http://system76.com/index.php/cPath/2

nrwilk
June 18th, 2006, 02:04 AM
I'm looking for a good linux laptop, and these look great.

My problem is that I'm a poor college student, and I need good reason to spend as much money as I'll have to for a laptop.

I want to ask this in the most respectful way possible. I'm not trying to question your prices. :)

Can you tell me what I get for the extra money I would pay to get a System76 machine, rather than a cheaper, equivalent laptop on, say, ebay?

Also, I'd be more inclined to buy an AMD laptop as well.

aysiu
June 18th, 2006, 02:34 AM
I'm sure crichell can give you the "real" technical answer, but in a more abstract sense, I think you'd get the assurance that the laptop will work perfectly with Ubuntu.

No futzing with setting up wireless with ndiswrapper, no wondering if sound is going to work, etc.

kamnet
June 18th, 2006, 03:16 PM

I don't mean to intrude on someone else's marketplace thread but if you are looking for a solid, AMD based desktop, please check out our selection of Ubuntu pre-installed desktops. (http://kamnet.ca/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=amd+desktop&x=0&y=0)

We also donate 5% of every Ubuntu preinstalled desktop sold to the Ubuntu project. Check out our own thread at here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=195075) for more info on that.

Cheers.

BTW. system76.com looks awesome ;-)

nuvo
June 18th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Choosing the Intel Core Duo over AMD CPU's is a good choice when it comes to laptops since they do offer better performance (this is one possible reason why Apple chose Intel over AMD as their laptops are popular and their desktops use many of the same components).
I'm a fan of AMD myself, but I can understand why Intel CPU's are more common in laptops.

As for the site, I like the idea and the systems seem pretty nice.
I'm in the UK though, so it's not much use to me and since I already have a quite competant system (just needs a new case and a bit more RAM).
I did link to the site on another forum since I have friends who have tried installing Ubuntu but failed, but that site's host vanished and took the more recent backups with them, so I have to set it up again :/

crichell
June 18th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Can you tell me what I get for the extra money I would pay to get a System76 machine, rather than a cheaper, equivalent laptop on, say, ebay?

Also, I'd be more inclined to buy an AMD laptop as well.

aysiu summed it up pretty well. No fussing with getting things to work. In addition we support and work with Ubuntu everyday - Our customers appreciate that they get support from their hardware provider.

I'm inclined to agree with nuvo on Intel vs. AMD in laptops. Intel is just ahead of the game here. However, AMD is very competitive and they know they can't wait to long to catch up. On that note what do you guys think about AMD's new X2 mobile processor?

kamnet - congrats on opening up your store and welcome!

aysiu
June 18th, 2006, 06:05 PM
crichell, would I be right in guessing, too, that for certain things your prices are higher because you don't get the kind of volume discounts that, say, Dell gets on hardware?

By the way, I haven't been able to find many 12" laptops at other places that are as low in price as System 76's.

Owdy
June 18th, 2006, 06:11 PM
PC store what offers Ubuntu pre-installed computers! Good job and good luck with business! :D Do you ship to Finland?

crichell
June 18th, 2006, 06:23 PM
crichell, would I be right in guessing, too, that for certain things your prices are higher because you don't get the kind of volume discounts that, say, Dell gets on hardware?

Sure - volume makes a big difference in anyone's ability to negotiate. Our customers and quantity has helped us get down to a $799 laptop which we're very happy about. We also learn new ways to be more efficient and push that value to our customers.

We ship to Finland - it can be pricey due to VAT and shipping cost, 17% and $60 - $80 respectively. I'm not sure if we're still competitve at that point.

aysiu
June 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Sure - volume makes a big difference in anyone's ability to negotiate. Our customers and quantity has helped us get down to a $799 laptop which we're very happy about. We also learn new ways to be more efficient and push that value to our customers.

We ship to Finland - it can be pricey due to VAT and shipping cost, 17% and $60 - $80 respectively. I'm not sure if we're still competitve at that point.
Then, of course, there's the problem of adapters and plugs and voltage and such, right?

crichell
June 18th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Then, of course, there's the problem of adapters and plugs and voltage and such, right?

We've been shipping to the UK which uses 220V. Our customers are using a converter. Not ideal of course.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
June 20th, 2006, 08:01 AM
When recently looking for a laptop for college, I checked out system76 wanting to get a laptop with linux. Unfortunately, the laptops were a bit out of my price range (I ended up getting an 800 dollar laptop) because I couldn't settle for having a celeron processor. I'm hoping sometime in the future if I can get the money I would love to buy one of those Koala series PC for use as a multimedia center. For now I ended up getting a Compaq Presario with Intel Centrino that will serve me for a while (it was on clearance and had decent specs, couldn't pass it up).

jan
June 22nd, 2006, 02:09 AM
That's a problem we've solved with our new generation. We provide a universal driver that takes care of any changes necessary when the kernel updates and we provide a repository so that as the driver improves (additional support or new features) it's automatically updated just as all the other software is.
Well i think this can also be solved with a "private" repository where you would "filter" the updates.

MetalMusicAddict
June 22nd, 2006, 02:27 AM
I would LOVE to see the Koala series with a HTPC/MythTV option. Say, Xubuntu as the DE and a fully working MythTV install out of the box. Im still considering the Koala as a desktop for my wife. Is it the via-unicrome chipset?

crichell
June 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
I would LOVE to see the Koala series with a HTPC/MythTV option. Say, Xubuntu as the DE and a fully working MythTV install out of the box. Im still considering the Koala as a desktop for my wife. Is it the via-unicrome chipset?

The two Koala's use either Intel's 915GM or 945GM chipset. Celeron/Pentium M = 915GM and Core Duo = 945GM

I think a couple of customers have been using Myth on the box - I'm not sure how though, maybe streaming from another machine as there is no tv tuner in there.

zachtib
June 22nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
when can we expect a system76 with core duo and nvidia graphics?

Ubunted
June 22nd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Guess I should have invested in a straitjacket after all. Just ordered a Serval. :mrgreen:

Now I have a bunch of waiting to do.

MetalMusicAddict
June 22nd, 2006, 10:48 PM
The two Koala's use either Intel's 915GM or 945GM chipset. Celeron/Pentium M = 915GM and Core Duo = 945GM
Ok. Cool.

I think a couple of customers have been using Myth on the box - I'm not sure how though, maybe streaming from another machine as there is no tv tuner in there.
Thats pretty much what I wanna do. Just a small box to listen to music/watch movies from mt server.

americanLoki
June 25th, 2006, 03:53 AM
I wish I had the cash to get one of these babies. I recently had to replace my dying iBook and I didn't have the money for a new Apple so I thought I would get a PC for Ubuntu. Unfortunately these were just out of my reach (I only had about $500 to spend). So I bought a Inspiron B130, but when my wife's Inspiron kicks the bucket I think she gets the Dell and I get a System 76 Pangolin :D.