PDA

View Full Version : Any words on the future of window decorations?

LarsKongo
October 13th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I'm kind of lost here. Google doesn't give me much information. :S

I'm wondering if there is any talk about abandoning metacity and make something more modern? It's nice and all that it can now do some semi-fake anti-aliased rounded corners since the Gnome 3.2 update, but it's still lacking a lot compared to kwin/Windows 7/emerald.

Wouldn't a client-side window decoration be the best so applications can use the titlebar as a tab-bar just like Opera and Firefox do in Windows? I would also like the option (important that it's an option) to put the menubar in the top-left corner of the titlebar as a button. In KDE you can for example now get oxygen-appmenu (http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Oxygen-appmenu?content=141254).

But most importantly (as I'm a designer), how could one of these possible new window decorations be themed? CSS of course! With the support of background-images to make up for all that lost creativity that got lost when emerald stopped working in Gnome-shell. Metacity, you've done much for us and Imma Let you finish. But emerald was the best window decoration of all time! :P

Still I'm wondering if there's any fear from the Gnome developers to push too much options to the user/designer...?

krapp
October 13th, 2011, 06:28 AM
As far as Ubuntu goes, as long as the global menu stays and is made universal (emacs-gtk still insists on having its own menu bar!) I'm happy! Window controls, if you must have them, better be kept in the panel as well.

el_koraco
October 13th, 2011, 09:00 AM
window controls are bloat

aeiah
October 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM
As far as Ubuntu goes, as long as the global menu stays and is made universal (emacs-gtk still insists on having its own menu bar!) I'm happy! Window controls, if you must have them, better be kept in the panel as well.

nice avatar 8-)

that is all.

krapp
October 13th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks; David Lanham's stuff is great.