PDA

View Full Version : Will you upgrade or install fresh?

Dustintendo
October 12th, 2011, 11:07 PM
im going to be upgrading from beta 2 on my netbook and upgrading from xubuntu natty on my desktop

wolfen69
October 12th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I like knowing that I'm starting off with clean code. Those who upgrade are asking for trouble.

http://htcdesirewallpaper.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/cool-wallpaper-fresh.jpg

speedwell68
October 12th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Fresh FTW.

PaulW2U
October 12th, 2011, 11:25 PM
As a Kubuntu user with both 11.04 and 11.10 currently installed I will need to repartition one of my drives to make roon for Ubuntu. Therefore a new install as I have nothing to upgrade from. ;)

Frogs Hair
October 12th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Fresh ! Files are backed up , 11.04 is removed , the HDD is ready , and I'm using Windows 7 tonight. :o

vehemoth
October 12th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Fresh, got a blank partition all ready to go.

IWantFroyo
October 12th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Fresh. As soon as I finish my homework (which I really should be doing right now :-\"), I'll back up my data and get ready for reinstalling.
I'm going to go crunch some numbers now. :D

johnnybgoode83
October 12th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Last time I upgraded an OS over a fresh install it caused no end of problems so I shall go for the fresh install option.

IWantFroyo
October 12th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Last time I upgraded an OS over a fresh install it caused no end of problems so I shall go for the fresh install option.

+1
Upgrading takes longer than a fresh install, and I see no reason for doing it. You can just save your configuration files to a USB drive, if that's what bothers you..

23dornot23d
October 12th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I have already done a number of upgrades using the Beta ... then upgrading to Final
NONE ... are working as I would like them to ....

So I will be doing a FRESH ..... install ..... once I find 20 Gig Free to do one ....

johnnybgoode83
October 12th, 2011, 11:55 PM
+1
Upgrading takes longer than a fresh install, and I see no reason for doing it. You can just save your configuration files to a USB drive, if that's what bothers you..

I don't even bother with that, I just back up my files while the CD is burning and away I go

IWantFroyo
October 12th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I don't even bother with that, I just back up my files while the CD is burning and away I go

I have a lot of important data to save, and I also sometimes like to swipe conf files from old installations.

Alwimo
October 13th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I installed a daily from the past week, and have been updating.

drascus
October 13th, 2011, 12:01 AM
as usual I will be doing a fresh install. I have noticed that if you upgrade through a few versions you start wishing you had installed fresh.

michaelcarey95
October 13th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I've been running 11.10 since Beta 1, which was a fresh install. I will just upgrade.

wolfen69
October 13th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I've been running 11.10 since Beta 1, which was a fresh install. I will just upgrade.

There's nothing to upgrade to, you're already running it!

1roxtar
October 13th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I upgraded several computers from 10.10 to 11.04 via the LiveCD without a hitch. Each upgraded fast and flawlessly. I experimented by upgrading an 11.04 computer to 11.10 Beta 2 (via LiveCD) and it turned into a jumbled mess. There are too many changes under the hood considering the move from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 to ensure a successful upgrade. I recommend that if you are moving from 11.04 to 11.10, to go with a clean install. You will be the better for it. ;) Ubuntu FTW

techvish81
October 13th, 2011, 12:54 AM
fresh installation

Atamisk
October 13th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I upgradedfrom 11.04 last week, and the only issues were I had to purge cups and reinstall. My last laptop was upgraded from 9.04 all the way to 11.04. Worked great the whole time. I guess I'm just lucky...

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2011, 01:09 AM
There's nothing to upgrade to, you're already running it!

I did get a compiz update in the last few hours. I wonder if we are now frozen until after the release?

wolfen69
October 13th, 2011, 01:17 AM
There are too many changes under the hood considering the move from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 to ensure a successful upgrade. I recommend that if you are moving from 11.04 to 11.10, to go with a clean install. You will be the better for it. ;) Ubuntu FTW

Yeah, I can't wait until it's released, and we see 500,000 threads starting with: "After upgrading, (insert anything) doesn't work anymore" Ah, fun times. When will people learn?

IWantFroyo
October 13th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Yeah, I can't wait until it's released, and we see 500,000 threads starting with: "After upgrading, (insert anything) doesn't work anymore" Ah, fun times. When will people learn?

I wonder if Canonical will add a "save settings to external source" function, so that edited conf files get saved into a nice neat package. Then people won't have to bother upgrading if they're lazy and don't want to find and copy everything they've edited.

Docaltmed
October 13th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Upgrade for me. I have both KDE and Gnome installed, not sure how it will all pan out.

Have a fairly recent backup, though. Should be good to go.

DougieFresh4U
October 13th, 2011, 02:12 AM
I did a 'fresh' install from daily 3 or 4 days ago and can't seem to login as I am effected by this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1853631)
I would hope that this issue is sorted out for the release of
Oneric.
One shouldn't have to go through the trouble of thread I refer to

kyral210
October 13th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Isn't it a bit concerning that almost everyone is saying Fresh over upgrade? Surely after god knows how many years we should have a simple and problem free upgrade option. I know Windows and OS-X manages it, so why not Ubuntu?

cgroza
October 13th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I will do a fresh install as soon as I get a DVD or CD to burn it (my Ubuntu Current RW DVD took too many releases already :D ).

wolfen69
October 13th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Isn't it a bit concerning that almost everyone is saying Fresh over upgrade? Surely after god knows how many years we should have a simple and problem free upgrade option. I know Windows and OS-X manages it, so why not Ubuntu?

Believe it or not, windows upgrades don't always go well either. But anyway, there should be a disclaimer saying that the upgrade process is less than perfect, and fresh installs are the preferred method. Proceed at your own risk. At least they could save a little face by admitting that upgrading sucks.

DarkDancer
October 13th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Have done both over the years and both have worked will. I honestly prefer to do the fresh install and that is what I did on RC day. I threw caution to the wind and did it bareback (i.e no protection, didn't back up a byte). Went flawlessly. Ok, it wasn't super flawless, when I fist installed I thought that this was going to be the first Ubuntu version I might have to skip as things were super weird. I then did the updates and it was suddenly awesome! ;)

Khakilang
October 13th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Fresh install. I have some inconvenience experience in upgrading.

lacusmons
October 13th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Upgrade. I never had any trouble, and its's a server upgrade :)

JoZ3
October 13th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I always update from a couple of versions ago and have had no major problems, but now my synaptic have a error :( :

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
what(): vector::_M_range_check

I miss the synaptic :(

KingYaba
October 13th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I always recommend the fresh install.

Mikeb85
October 13th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I just upgraded through the update manager, it took awhile but worked without any issues, and everything seems to be working just fine. In Oneiric everything seems just a little bit quicker, nicer, and more polished. So far I'm impressed.

Merisi
October 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I just upgraded through the update manager, it took awhile but worked without any issues, and everything seems to be working just fine. In Oneiric everything seems just a little bit quicker, nicer, and more polished. So far I'm impressed.

It's nice to hear someone has upgraded. That's what I was thinking of doing but this thread has rattled me. The whole idea of having to install everything from scratch every six months is enough to put me off Ubuntu.

krapp
October 13th, 2011, 07:13 PM
It's nice to hear someone has upgraded. That's what I was thinking of doing but this thread has rattled me. The whole idea of having to install everything from scratch every six months is enough to put me off Ubuntu.

More successful upgrade testimonies please!
If anybody is feeling more adventurous than I, please upgrade and let us know how it goes.

ubupirate
October 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I'd go fresh install any time.

Why waste all that time upgrading, only to have everything break in a nightmarish hell and have to fresh install anyway?

That's the way I look at it. :)

FuturePilot
October 13th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Upgrade. Always done it that way. No problems.

Don't let the comments in this thread about upgrading rattle you. You have to remember that you only hear from the people that upgraded and had something break. There are most likely hundreds or thousands of people that have upgraded without problems. And you'll never hear from them because they have no need to go posting about it.

BigSilly
October 13th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I was a bit different this time. I installed a daily build a little early on like the 8th October and just kept it up to date as it was proving a solid experience. I usually wait for a final release but I couldn't this time. :D

23dornot23d
October 13th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I always upgraded too ..... but after doing a few upgrades and they are not all working
as I would like them to ......

I will keep a record below of any that fail .... hopefully this list will not grow too much
and people will be aware that there are a few options to take into consideration should they
choose to do so .........

Penguinnerd
October 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Personally, neither. I'm staying with LTS, but I agree that a fresh install is usually the way to go.

Especially if you've "tweaked" your old installation a bit, I expect the upgrade route can get pretty quirky.

Certainly there's nothing wrong with trying a regular upgrade at first, and to do a fresh install if it fails. That might be what I would do, but I would wait a month or two for someone else to have problems first (Someone who can figure out what went wrong). :p

simpleblue
October 13th, 2011, 07:40 PM

Why waste all that time upgrading, only to have everything break in a nightmarish hell and have to fresh install anyway?

Agreed. That's what I'll be doing.

I actually have a blank DVD in the drive ready to go!

:popcorn:

wolfen69
October 13th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I miss the synaptic :(

sudo apt-get install synaptic
;)

juancarlospaco
October 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM
sudo do-release-upgrade

i used to upgrade, works perfectly

wolfen69
October 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM

Same here. Only took me 1 1/2 hours to get back where I was. Upgrading can take many hours, only to find you need to do a fresh install anyway because something got borked. I'm not saying upgrading fails every time, but why take that chance?

Merisi
October 13th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Don't let the comments in this thread about upgrading rattle you. You have to remember that you only hear from the people that upgraded and had something break. There are most likely hundreds or thousands of people that have upgraded without problems. And you'll never hear from them because they have no need to go posting about it.

Thank you :) Sadly when it won't let me upgrade at the moment will try later.

JoZ3
October 13th, 2011, 07:53 PM
sudo apt-get install synaptic
;)

TnxI know, but synaptic no run,

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
what(): vector::_M_range_check

Vorian Grey
October 13th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I always do a fresh install and advise anyone that will listen to do the same thing.

kc1di
October 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Fresh install here too !
;)

krapp
October 13th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Personally, neither. I'm staying with LTS, but I agree that a fresh install is usually the way to go.

Especially if you've "tweaked" your old installation a bit, I expect the upgrade route can get pretty quirky.

Certainly there's nothing wrong with trying a regular upgrade at first, and to do a fresh install if it fails. That might be what I would do, but I would wait a month or two for someone else to have problems first (Someone who can figure out what went wrong). :p

You're missing out on Unity!

wolfen69
October 13th, 2011, 08:26 PM
That doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

Just one thing though. If you've been around the forums for any great length of time, you would have noticed that many people that had problems with upgrading magically had their problems go away by doing a fresh install. What does that tell you?

Any experienced computer tech, whether windows, mac, or linux will tell you that fresh installing is the best way to go. Besides, if you have a good backup routine, fresh installing is quicker and easier. I've heard of upgrades taking hours. Most fresh installs can be done in less than 10min on a fast computer, then do your configuring. Easy, clean code, and done.

Shazaam
October 13th, 2011, 08:30 PM
For a lark I installed Lucid in VBox. Used "sudo update-manager -d" and ugraded to Oneric without a hitch. Had to do each successive release (took about 2 hours) but it was fun.
As far as doing that on my regular installs I think not. I alway do a fresh one.

Linye
October 13th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I did the upgrade and its been smooth but I'm not holding my breath.

krapp
October 13th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I did the upgrade and its been smooth but I'm not holding my breath.

Brave soul!

MarjaE
October 13th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I'm probably going to stay with 11.04 but might re-install 10.10. Not seeing any reason to move to 11.10 and since both Gnome 3 and Unity rely on visible-on-mouseover features/bugs, I'm seeing some very good reasons to stay away from 11.10.

aditirex
October 13th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Upgraded , Kubuntu on a desktop and a laptop - on laptop NM crashed - guess when installed the new package and wifi didn't work until reboot - but except that , no problem .
I am considering a fresh x64 install on one of them , I'm on x86 with both .

Dry Lips
October 13th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I'm probably going to stay with 11.04 but might re-install 10.10. Not seeing any reason to move to 11.10 and since both Gnome 3 and Unity rely on visible-on-mouseover features/bugs, I'm seeing some very good reasons to stay away from 11.10.

I'm also going to stay with 11.04, at least for a little time... Perhaps I'll
skip 11.10 altogether and do a fresh install when 12.04 LTS comes. Let
me elaborate:

Actually I will install 11.10, but since I'm triple booting I'm going to
remove another distro and install Oneiric just to see how well it performs.
I doubt that I'll be upgrading 11.04 and I'm definitively not wiping my
Natty partition in order to install Oneiric.

ki4jgt
October 13th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I will be upgrading. Unfortunately, I don't have backup storage at this time :-(

Gs Dewd
October 17th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I did a fresh install due to the fact I wanted to go to a bigger hd anyways.

dpny
October 17th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Upgrade. No problems.

oldgeekster
October 17th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I will be upgrading. Unfortunately, I don't have backup storage at this time :-(Then you shouldn't do it if you cannot back up what you have first IMO.

OBTW, I chose to do the on-line upgrade, (*after* a full system backup), and have experienced no real problems - just a bunch of tweaks to get things back like I happen to enjoy them, (re-adding some ppa's, etc) - still trying to give Unity a chance, and slowly getting better with it.

For the next version, which will be an LTS release in April, I will do a completely fresh install.

The_Autonomist
October 17th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I've only fresh installed once, and that was when if first started using 10.04. Ever since then, i've upgraded to each newer release. never had any problems. All of my settings have always been intact and i've never had any errors.

I find it easier than fresh installs too.

drawkcab
October 17th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I was able to upgrade from 9.04 to 11.04 without much hassle at all. I've found that with 11.10 fresh installation is working much better. More specifically, I couldn't get a number of gnome 3 extensions to work with my upgraded systems.

krapp
October 17th, 2011, 03:18 AM
I'm upgrading as we speak...

wolfen69
October 17th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I'm upgrading as we speak...

Got your fingers crossed?

krapp
October 17th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Very much so! Figured I'd give it a shot. I evangelize about Linux, yet I'm afraid to run into trouble with it. Something's wrong about that.

wolfen69
October 17th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Very much so! Figured I'd give it a shot. I evangelize about Linux, yet I'm afraid to run into trouble with it. Something's wrong about that.

If the upgrade doesn't work well, backup, clean install, and consider it a lesson learned. I've learned many a hard lesson over the years. But anyways, keep us updated on how it's going.

krapp
October 17th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Yea, but packages are downloading at +1mb/s, so far so good!

wolfen69
October 17th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Yea, but packages are downloading at +1mb/s, so far so good!

Unfortunately, download speeds have nothing to do with the actual install. But at least it shouldn't take all night to find out if it's borked or not.

Guitar John
October 17th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Fresh install using Alternate install CD. Not sure whether I am going to give Unity another chance or go back to Xubuntu.

gsmanners
October 17th, 2011, 06:16 AM
It's baffling to me that they keep trying to make dist-upgrade work. That was designed for Debian, not Ubuntu. It's like the classic square peg in a round hole.

krapp
October 17th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Well that was weird. With supposedly 12 minutes remaining the upgrader decided that the few remaining new packages couldn't be installed and warned me that I might be left with an unusable system. I'm not sure what precipitated this, as my 11.04 had nothing in the way of customization. Everything was default aside from keybindings and a few installed applications. At any rate, upon rebooting the system was usable. However, it seems my school hasn't yet added support for 11.10 to the Internet connection utility they insist that you use, so I had to return to 11.04. Which is a shame because now Unity seems really immature in comparison. Which I guess it really is absolutely. In conclusion: I'm back on Openbox. I like Unity, and I'll track its development. For one thing I hope they improve window management and give one more wiggle room in the way of docks and taskbars.

Paqman
October 17th, 2011, 10:05 PM
The upgrade process has been getting better and better. It takes a little longer than a fresh install but I find there's a lot less to be done afterwards, so it probably evens out time-wise and is certainly a lot less hassle.

I've just done two flawless upgrades to Oneiric, and TBH I've not had any trouble with an upgrade for years.