PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sudden requests for non-existent mobile broadband password

rdh61
October 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Hi,

I'm running 10.10 and have a mobile broadband connection. My SIM is not password protected - I eliminated the PIN code some time ago, and have just checked by inserting it into a cell phone. It worked fine. But since yesterday on attempting to connect, I am bugged by requests for a password for the connection. If I leave the space blank, the request is endlessly repeated. If I put in ANY four number code, I get two or three more repeated requests before a successful connection is made. In the Edit Mobile Broadband window of Network Manager I have left the PIN code box blank. Weird. Anyone know what's going on? And how can I tell the system it doesn't need to ask me for a password?

Many thanks.

asad393
October 12th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Hi,

I'm running 10.10 and have a mobile broadband connection. My SIM is not password protected - I eliminated the PIN code some time ago, and have just checked by inserting it into a cell phone. It worked fine. But since yesterday on attempting to connect, I am bugged by requests for a password for the connection. If I leave the space blank, the request is endlessly repeated. If I put in ANY four number code, I get two or three more repeated requests before a successful connection is made. In the Edit Mobile Broadband window of Network Manager I have left the PIN code box blank. Weird. Anyone know what's going on? And how can I tell the system it doesn't need to ask me for a password?

Many thanks.

If you use mobile phone to conenct to the internet...no can use your phone connection in addtion to you if you are thinking that someone has hacked your mobile network. or trying to do so...mobile phone takes signals from the tower that transmits to anyone...i have never come across any sort of problem in which a user can use others' phone network...but lets wait for others reply as well...just give original password of the network of mobile compay..mostly they are company names..and dont worry.

rdh61
October 13th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks for your reassurance. I wasn't worried about hacking. But I am irritated by the behaviour of Network Manager. I do not want it to ask me repeatedly for a password, particularly when I do not have and do not want one! (I removed the PIN code some time ago because I was having connection problems and on some forum or another someone suggested removing it - it worked, until now). It should have an option to deal with passwords automatically without having to ask. Which it did, until 3 days ago. And I am also somewhat bemused that it will accept any four digit number I put in - crazy. Any way I can stop this bevaviour?

P.S. I connect with a USB modem, not with my phone.