PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Can't connect to secured networks

bugscripts
October 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I get a "Bad Password" error when trying to connect to any WPA or WEP networks. Unsecured networks work fine.

I'm using wicd and the authentication settings provided by the network administrator.

SeijiSensei
October 12th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I never have a problem connecting to WPA2 networks with the native network manager in Kubuntu, at least in versions 10+. People had problems with KDE 4.0's implementation of its network manager, which often led to the suggestion of using wicd instead. However current versions like KDE 4.5+ work just fine.

Which Kubuntu is this? I've found 10.10 to be the best Kubuntu release yet.

bugscripts
October 12th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I never have a problem connecting to WPA2 networks with the native network manager in Kubuntu, at least in versions 10+. People had problems with KDE 4.0's implementation of its network manager, which often led to the suggestion of using wicd instead. However current versions like KDE 4.5+ work just fine.

Which Kubuntu is this? I've found 10.10 to be the best Kubuntu release yet.

I'm using 11.04.

I switched to wicd because I had trouble getting KNetworkManager to recognize my wireless interface. The "Wireless" tab was dimmed even when everything else seemed to be set up properly (I could type iwlist scan to see all available networks.)

bugscripts
October 13th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Finally got it work with the instructions in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1600498). Couldn't get KNetworkManager to log in but the Gnome version works.