PDA

View Full Version : WineHQ AppDB login database compromised

forrestcupp
October 11th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I just got an email that the login database for WineHQ has been compromised. Here is the message they sent me:

We are sorry to report that recently our login database for the
WineHQ Application Database was compromised. We know that the entire
contents of the login database was stolen by hackers. The password
was encrypted, but with enough effort and depending on the quality
of your old password, it could be cracked.

We have closed the hole in our system that allowed read access to
our database tables.

To prevent further damage we have reset your password to what is shown
below. We strongly suggest that if you shared your AppDB password on
any other sites that you change that password as soon as possible.

ubupirate
October 11th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Someones about to get fired.

forrestcupp
October 12th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Wow. I can't believe that nobody cares that your login information was hacked from WineHQ. Am I the only one who is registered at Wine?

kaldor
October 12th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I don't engage in password reuse, so it doesn't really bother me.

3Miro
October 12th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I got the e-mail yesterday and I changed my password. There seems to be a rise of hacking lately, or is it just me.

CharlesA
October 12th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I'm not registered there, but I've been using a password manager so I don't get tempted to reuse passwords. ;)

SavageWolf
October 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I think the only thing "hackers" do is look through the encrypted passwords for the md5 or sha1 hash of "1234567890" or "WindowsSucks" and the like, then gets the username and trys it in Twitter and Paypal and such.

Lucradia
October 12th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I use special characters in my passwords, so often, I am semi-exempt from this. However, databases that cannot accept unicode UTF8 or non-ascii compliant stuff are most vulnerable. Most MMORPG Servers as such, can easily be hacked.

forrestcupp
October 13th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Even if you're not at risk and you don't reuse passwords, I still thought it would be news worth talking about. It's something that hits close to home for a lot of us.

Oh well.

CharlesA
October 13th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Even if you're not at risk and you don't reuse passwords, I still thought it would be news worth talking about. It's something that hits close to home for a lot of us.

Oh well.
+1. Thanks for that. :)