PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] 11.10: lubuntu or normal iso?

ethyn408
October 11th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Hello,
I'm a long-time user of Ubuntu and recently I got an Asus EeePc 900a with a 1.6GHz Intel Atom and only 1 GB of RAM and 4GB of SSD space. I used to use the netbook remix before they combined all of the iso's into one, and now I use the LXDE interface. It's slightly faster, but I think it's not as fun to use. When 11.10 comes out, should I stick with lubuntu or will it be worth the decrease in speed (if any)? Also, any alternative suggestions would be nice.
Thanks in advance,
ethyn408

soloman498
October 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Have you thought about using a smaller distro like Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux?There is other small distro's too

ethyn408
October 11th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Have you thought about using a smaller distro like Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux?There is other small distro's too

I prefer ubuntu because I've been using it for a long time and I like it a lot.

mystika1
October 11th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hi,
I am no expert but I have read that if you would like to slim down ubuntu even more then installing Ubuntu Mini follwed by LXDE or XFCE would do the trick.

HTH,

Penny

amjjawad
October 11th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hello,
I'm a long-time user of Ubuntu and recently I got an Asus EeePc 900a with a 1.6GHz Intel Atom and only 1 GB of RAM and 4GB of SSD space. I used to use the netbook remix before they combined all of the iso's into one, and now I use the LXDE interface. It's slightly faster, but I think it's not as fun to use. When 11.10 comes out, should I stick with lubuntu or will it be worth the decrease in speed (if any)? Also, any alternative suggestions would be nice.
Thanks in advance,
ethyn408

One word, YES :)

NO WAY Ubuntu 11.10 can be compared with Lubuntu 11.10 when it comes to speed. After all, it's your call :)

Neosano
October 23rd, 2011, 05:46 PM
go with lubuntu :) it's really fast!