PDA

View Full Version : MAC user Unity Envy?

1roxtar
October 10th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I was watching a recent TWIT (This Week In Tech) episode on Justin.TV and I saw this woman who's Mac desktop was made to look like Ubuntu's Unity UI. I was simply amused by this Mac user showing some Unity love.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd237/1ROXTAR/TWIT-MACUNITY.jpg

I still think that the real-deal is much more attractive.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd237/1ROXTAR/ONERICSCREENSHOT.png

MG&TL
October 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM
There is packages you can get to get a Mac look on GNOME, so I guess not that unusual.

Still pretty odd though. And yeah, the Unity looks better. Not Mac-fake Unity.

KiwiNZ
October 10th, 2011, 09:33 PM
That is not new, the ability to move the Dock to the Left or Right and display full length visible has been present for a very long time. It also changes from the two dimensional view to flat black also for a very long time.A built in option.

All this years before Unity.

3Miro
October 10th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I have Mac using friends that have been using this layout for years. It makes a lot of sense on a 16:9 monitor. When I first saw Unity, it did strike me as a Mac mock-up.

el_koraco
October 10th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Man, what is up with your fonts! Do let us help you with that!

Bachstelze
October 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
"Mac" is not an acronym.

Dr. C
October 10th, 2011, 09:53 PM
That is not new, the ability to move the Dock to the Left or Right and display full length visible has been present for a very long time. It also changes from the two dimensional view to flat black also for a very long time.A built in option.

So has Windows for years. Windows NT Workstation 4.0 circa 1996 has the ability to move the taskbar to the left. What makes Unity innovative is that default is to place it on the left at a time when most screens are a 16:9 or 16:10 from factor.

1roxtar
October 10th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I'm just a huge fan of Unity. Yes, you read that correctly. I just had a geek moment over something that looked "Unity-ish" out in the wild.

:guitar:

KiwiNZ
October 10th, 2011, 10:23 PM
So has Windows for years. Windows NT Workstation 4.0 circa 1996 has the ability to move the taskbar to the left. What makes Unity innovative is that default is to place it on the left at a time when most screens are a 16:9 or 16:10 from factor.

That is not innovation.

not found
October 10th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Not sure who copied who when and why...

IWantFroyo
October 10th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Mac has been able to do that for a long time. I have a friend who does that, and he has no clue what Unity even is.

kaldor
October 11th, 2011, 03:50 AM

I very commonly see Macs with the dock on the left. It makes a lot of sense to do that.

DoubleClicker
October 11th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I very commonly see Macs with the dock on the left. It makes a lot of sense to do that.

Personally, I prefer my doc on the right, where the original NeXT dock was.

MonolithImmortal
October 11th, 2011, 05:02 AM
This is not copying Unity. This is just someone who moved their dock over to the left. OSX has had this option for eons, not to mention all the docks for linux who had this option for eons as well. A dock on the left != unity.

Quadunit404
October 11th, 2011, 05:11 AM
This is not copying Unity. this is just someone who moved their dock over to the left. OSX has had this option for eons, not to mention all the docks for linux who had this option for eons as well. A dock on the left != unity.

This.

MarjaE
October 11th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Now having it on the bottom never made any sense to me... I got used to the dock on the Mac after a while, but I don't feel the same about the dock in Unity. For one thing, the Mac doesn't maximize windows as often as Ubuntu does, or as randomly/accidentally. So it's easy to keep working space away from the dock and keep working space and the dock from interfering with each other. Ubuntu has the odd habit of maximizing my windows whenever I try to move them out of the way.

MG&TL
October 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM
You can put the windows 7 taskbar at all sides, and even **make it have small icons** <gasp>

And if you're willing to do a little registry hacking, you can change pretty much anything about it.

thatguruguy
October 11th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Now having it on the bottom never made any sense to me... I got used to the dock on the Mac after a while, but I don't feel the same about the dock in Unity. For one thing, the Mac doesn't maximize windows as often as Ubuntu does, or as randomly/accidentally. So it's easy to keep working space away from the dock and keep working space and the dock from interfering with each other. Ubuntu has the odd habit of maximizing my windows whenever I try to move them out of the way.

You've mentioned your problem with the launcher before, so I thought I'd help you out on this. I'll go through it step-by-step.

1. If you haven't already installed CompizConfig Settings Manager (ccsm), please do so. You can get it by typing

sudo apt-get compizconfig-settings-manager... in a terminal.

2. Launch CCSM by opening the dash (which you can do by clicking on the "Super" key on your keyboard), and typing "ccsm", and then clicking on the icon.

3. Look for the "Ubuntu Unity Plugin." It should be in the "Desktop" section. Click on it.

4. Look for the section "Hide Launcher". Choose "Never."

Now, your launcher won't auto-hide, and windows (even when maximized) won't overlap it, so you don't have to worry about moving your mouse too far to the left.

Copper Bezel
October 11th, 2011, 10:44 PM
No-no-no, the package is compizconfig-settings-manager, not ccsm. Running the latter will suggest simple-ccsm and break everything. Only the command to run it is ccsm.

thatguruguy
October 11th, 2011, 11:04 PM
No-no-no, the package is compizconfig-settings-manager, not ccsm. Running the latter will suggest simple-ccsm and break everything. Only the command to run it is ccsm.

Good catch. Instructions fixed.