PDA

View Full Version : Fresher- what to choose between java and .net??

Praveen30
October 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I am going to start my career in an IT company.I am a fresher.As i have a heard from my friends who are already going through training that they are giving two options and you have to pick one for your profile .The two options are- java and .net(c#,asp.net etc) .I am not a fan of both of these, i love to work in c and python.But My interest is other thing and working for company is another.I want to know from you guys what should i choose if i am lucky enough to get options??:confused: It is not like that i am blank in both language but i have very basic level.So, i have no preference between these two languages.

ofnuts
October 10th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I am going to start my career in an IT company.I am a fresher.As i have a heard from my friends who are already going through training that they are giving two options and you have to pick one for your profile .The two options are- java and .net(c#,asp.net etc) .I am not a fan of both of these, i love to work in c and python.But My interest is other thing and working for company is another.I want to know from you guys what should i choose if i am lucky enough to get options??:confused: It is not like that i am blank in both language but i have very basic level.So, i have no preference between these two languages.

Java and .NET have the same drawback, they are mostly used in fairly boring business applications. .NET means mostly-Windows boring stuff, Java means mostly-Unix boring stuff. Your choice :)

karlson
October 10th, 2011, 06:23 PM

That actually depends on what you are planning to do with your career... If you plan to stick with Windows for the most part choose .NET, if not I'd choose Java, although with Java there is a lot of manual things you might need to do in certain aspects(GUI programming would be one).

oakgrove
October 10th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Java opens you up to being an Android developer in its native language. As Android is the fastest growing OS in the fastest growing segment of computing and has the distinction of being based on Linux, I'd say that has to count for something. I'm a Python/Java coder and wouldn't have it any other way.

HotCupOfJava
October 11th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I would expect you to find more possibilities with Java. .NET is heavily used, but almost exclusively on Windows machines. Java is used for mobile and embedded devices, desktop applications for most OSes, and web applications. As an earlier poster mentioned, Java is also the base for the Android app engine.

11jmb
October 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I would expect you to find more possibilities with Java. .NET is heavily used, but almost exclusively on Windows machines. Java is used for mobile and embedded devices, desktop applications for most OSes, and web applications. As an earlier poster mentioned, Java is also the base for the Android app engine.

Agreed. .NET programming is very common, but you would be relegating yourself to Windows development, where Java is a bit more versatile. Most operating systems will have JDK available, and many embedded devices have JVMs as well.

akvino
October 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Agreed. .NET programming is very common, but you would be relegating yourself to Windows development, where Java is a bit more versatile. Most operating systems will have JDK available, and many embedded devices have JVMs as well.

If you want to make more money long term, pick java.

moldaviax
October 19th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I think you will be well served by your python skills in the long term :)

Most C# and java programmers can quickly adapt across languages due to the similar syntax etc - and both the .net and java platforms will be around for a while yet.

M.