PDA

View Full Version : Really, Stallman? What is wrong with you?

MonolithImmortal
October 7th, 2011, 10:48 PM
http://stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html#06_October_2011_%28Steve_Jobs%29

Steve Jobs, the pioneer of the computer as a jail made cool, designed to sever fools from their freedom, has died.
As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor Daley, "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone." Nobody deserves to have to die - not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence on people's computing.
Unfortunately, that influence continues despite his absence. We can only hope his successors, as they attempt to carry on his legacy, will be less effective.

This is exactly why I have zero respect for you RMS, and why I will never respect GNU or the FSF.
Tactless fool.

TeoBigusGeekus
October 7th, 2011, 10:51 PM
As a matter of fact, I agree with him...

IWantFroyo
October 7th, 2011, 10:53 PM
"...guilty of bigger evils than theirs..."

They were the ones who really made computers popular. I think Stallman should be grateful. Emacs would have a much smaller userbase if Apple and MS weren't around.

Apple is a perfectly good company, and so is Microsoft. I don't agree with all their practices, but at least they keep Canonical on their toes, and provide us with a lot of Cafe/Recurring stuff to talk about.

8_Bit
October 7th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Unsurprisingly he fails to mention any of the good that Jobs did. Does Stallman use a mouse? A graphical user interface? Those would never have been popularized and become readily available were it not for Jobs.

earthpigg
October 7th, 2011, 10:54 PM
The only thing I see that is potentially objectionable is, as you point out, the lack of tact. For me, that's a big "meh".

Being blunt and frank isn't something that causes me to think less of someone.

MonolithImmortal
October 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Unsurprisingly he fails to mention any of the good that Jobs did. Does Stallman use a mouse? A graphical user interface?
No, he uses emacs for everything.

Srsly.

IWantFroyo
October 7th, 2011, 11:00 PM
No, he uses emacs for everything.

Srsly.

Oh gosh... I tried to set up email in emacs. EMAIL! and failed miserably.

I can't imagine using it for everything.

edit- Then again, I use vim to write papers. Maybe I'm not one to talk.

MonolithImmortal
October 7th, 2011, 11:05 PM
The only thing I see that is potentially objectionable is, as you point out, the lack of tact. For me, that's a big "meh".

Being blunt and frank isn't something that causes me to think less of someone.
It's the fact that he conveys the fact that software freedom is more important to him than another man's life. It shows how DEEPLY out of touch he is with reality.

I mean, he pretty much said "It's a good thing that guy Jobs is dead, he was basically cyber hitler."

johnnybgoode83
October 7th, 2011, 11:05 PM
He is talking rubbish. The fact is that Steve Jobs, love him or hate him, was one of the most important people in the world of IT and technology and he should be respected and revered for that.

Do I dislike some of Apple's practices? Absolutely, but they make excellent products and create competition in the field which is a good thing.

TeoBigusGeekus
October 7th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Mods, feel free to remove this post if it's too early for it, or you just find it too inappropriate: http://slated.org/good_riddance_steve_jobs
A different opinion.

MonolithImmortal
October 7th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Mods, feel free to remove this post if it's too early for it, or you just find it too inappropriate: http://slated.org/good_riddance_steve_jobs
A different opinion.
My thread, vacate it.

TeoBigusGeekus
October 7th, 2011, 11:32 PM
My thread, vacate it.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

sn0m
October 7th, 2011, 11:33 PM
http://stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html#06_October_2011_%28Steve_Jobs%29

This is exactly why I have zero respect for you RMS, and why I will never respect GNU or the FSF.
Tactless fool.
100% agree with stallman, the truth sometimes hurt.

TeoBigusGeekus
October 7th, 2011, 11:35 PM
100% agree with stallman, the truth sometimes hurt.

+1
I didn't of course wish him to die, I even posted some comforting words in the other huge thread, but enough is enough...

sarton85
October 7th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I am not an Apple fan, but felt sad when I heard of Steve's passing. I respect Steve as a person because of his persistence to create great products and to actually change the face of technology.

Stallman's reaction seems almost narcistic to me. Believing that he himself is the only one who is actually doing it right. I believe the last decade it is becoming evident that open-source and commercial software will be going more hand in hand in the future. Closing your mind for this development will leave you running behind the facts. And I believe this is what Stallman is actually doing.

Does Stallman really believe that everybody wants to use Emacs and the terminal to operate their computer? I use Vim, but my mom doesn't even know how to copy/paste.

I don't think closed mindedness has ever been helpful...

JDShu
October 7th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Tact is apparently important on the internet now.

TeoBigusGeekus
October 7th, 2011, 11:37 PM
To clear something up: RMS is a clown, but he's right on that one...

cariboo907
October 7th, 2011, 11:40 PM
This seems to be going the same way as the rest of the threads about Steve Jobs. Closed.