PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install a compiler on joli os

La Paz
October 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Hi all, I'm very new to linux and programming. I'm trying to learn about programming and therefore I need a compiler. I tried to install one through the terminal using sudo apt-get gcc...(something) which seemed to work, however I have absoloutely no idea how to set this up to actally use it. When I go to package manager, it says I have the program installed, but I don't know how to access it. I also tried sudo apt-get build-essential but the terminal didn't seem to understand. Also, I'm using Joli OS. I can't overstate what a beginner I am at all of this. Any ideas much appreciated.

Artificial Intelligence
October 4th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Pynalysis
October 4th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hi all, I'm very new to linux and programming. I'm trying to learn about programming and therefore I need a compiler. I tried to install one through the terminal using sudo apt-get gcc...(something) which seemed to work, however I have absoloutely no idea how to set this up to actally use it. When I go to package manager, it says I have the program installed, but I don't know how to access it. I also tried sudo apt-get build-essential but the terminal didn't seem to understand. Also, I'm using Joli OS. I can't overstate what a beginner I am at all of this. Any ideas much appreciated.

Help with installing build-essential from command line:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Since you mentioned you are new to programming - Python is a great programming language for beginners.

Example

Open a terminal window:

type in:
python

press enter to start Python

Now that you are in Python

type in:

print "Hello, World"

Print means you want to print something to the screen and the characters in quotes are what you want to print.

This is known as using a print statement to print a string where a string is basically letters or numbers or characters in between quotes.

press control+d to exit
or type exit()

~Pynalysis