PDA

View Full Version : i don't consider my kubuntu as kubuntu

elliotn
October 1st, 2011, 07:22 AM
when I installed Ubuntu it had Gnome as a DE. Then I decided to remove gnome and install kde, all of a sudden my system is called Kubuntu but when I had Gnome it wasn't called Gubuntu, so why Canonical is naming the Kde, Xcfe kubuntu and xubuntu respectively. I dislike this methods that when I installed KDE I removed the Kubuntu logo and replaced it with the Ubuntu logo but kept the blue colour. Why don't canonical name all versions Ubuntu and then specify that its this DE eg: UBUNTU 14.04 KING KONG with KDE/GNOME/XCFE/LXDE etc

not found
October 1st, 2011, 07:24 AM
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
by any other name would smell as sweet...

reyfer
October 1st, 2011, 07:29 AM
I may be totally wrong, but it may have to do with the fact that Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubunto and the rest were NOT made by Canonical, they were made by volunteers that wanted the Ubuntu base with different DEs? Canonical recognizes themas official derivatives, but they are NOT made by Canonical

vehemoth
October 1st, 2011, 08:13 AM
I may be totally wrong, but it may have to do with the fact that Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubunto and the rest were NOT made by Canonical, they were made by volunteers that wanted the Ubuntu base with different DEs? Canonical recognizes themas official derivatives, but they are NOT made by Canonical
I think that's only true for some of them, from memory kubuntu is developed by cananonical.

StephanG
October 1st, 2011, 08:54 AM
I see what you're saying. In fact, when I google for a problem, I consider finding a solution for Ubuntu to be equal to finding a solution for my Kubuntu machine.

But, beyond that, I actually like the names. The name clearly shows that it's based on Ubuntu, but the fact that it's different makes it easy to find websites and articles relevant to that Distro. For example, with kubuntu, I can go to www.kubuntu.org. Otherwise, I would have had to go to www.ubuntu.com and search for a link or something to specify that it's the KDE version of Ubuntu.

And if I'm looking for a solution to a Kubuntu specific bug typing "KDE Ubuntu Screensaver" into google would just get me to a hundred different blogs about Linux in general.

LowSky
October 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM
I think that's only true for some of them, from memory kubuntu is developed by cananonical.

Your memory is wrong, but luckily i had the time to fact check:

http://www.kubuntu.org/about-us

About Us
Submitted on Tue, 2010-06-08
About Kubuntu

Kubuntu is a community developed and supported project. Since its launch in October 2004, Kubuntu has become one of the most highly regarded Linux distributions with millions of users around the world.

Kubuntu will always be free to download, free to use and free to distribute to others. With these goals in mind, Kubuntu aims to be the most widely used Linux system, and is the centre of a global open source software ecosystem.

Take the tour and find out why Kubuntu is right for you.

Technologies used in Kubuntu

vehemoth
October 1st, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'm still a bit confuse about the subject
http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu

The first version of Ubuntu was based on the GNOME desktop. We have since added a KDE edition, Kubuntu, and a server edition.

http://www.kubuntu.org/about-us

Canonical, the commercial sponsor of Kubuntu, is a global organisation headquartered in Europe committed to the development, distribution and support of open source software products and communities.

http://www.ubuntu.com/project

Ubuntu is created by open-source developers because we believe that everybody should have access to the best possible technologies.

Ubuntu is backed by Canonical - the number-one Ubuntu services provider.

not found
October 1st, 2011, 10:24 AM
Maybe this will help: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives

elliotn
October 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM
Derivative Team Members are created and
maintained by individuals and organizations outside of Canonical and
Ubuntu. Quality Assurance is maintained by cooperation between the derivative and
Ubuntu. These derivatives are self governed but, work closely with the Ubuntu community.
so does this means Canonical fully support Ubuntu as their main OS than the k/l/xubuntu

F.G.
October 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Maybe this will help: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives

that does make it all quite straight-forward.

I wonder if it would aid the general promotion of Ubuntu if they were all called 'Ubuntu' (i realize that there would probably be legal and logistical issues with this).

I can't help thinking that the number of linux distro's out there and there variants make it difficult for people to consider linux seriously. People can go for 'Windows 7' or 'OSX Lion' but can't really just choose 'Linux' (i know that variety is one of the strengths of Linux). Ubuntu is as close as Linux come to having a 'main version', ie comprehensive, easy to install and popular. i think some brand homogenization could be useful.

WinterMadness
October 1st, 2011, 08:03 PM
all the different names just add to confusion for new people. i remember when i first wanted to try linux over 10 years ago, I was so confused by the idea of distros. The bottom line is most distros arent really different from each other, and there shouldnt be all these different names.

el_koraco
October 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM
What is this insane love for authority among people here? Linux is a free OS, and with that comes a bunch of dudes and dudettes doing their own spins. Plus, you don't have "too many distros", the only ones people hear about are Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and Red Hat, and it's mostly Ubuntu. It's only after you start using Linux that you learn of distros like Zenwalk or Archbang.

What do you people want, a central authority to determine how many distros there should be and how they should be structured? Even the BSDs, with their more structured development model, have distros (granted, they're mostly FreeBSD distros, but still).

WinterMadness
October 1st, 2011, 10:10 PM
What is this insane love for authority among people here? Linux is a free OS, and with that comes a bunch of dudes and dudettes doing their own spins. Plus, you don't have "too many distros", the only ones people hear about are Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and Red Hat, and it's mostly Ubuntu. It's only after you start using Linux that you learn of distros like Zenwalk or Archbang.

What do you people want, a central authority to determine how many distros there should be and how they should be structured? Even the BSDs, with their more structured development model, have distros (granted, they're mostly FreeBSD distros, but still).

its not a love of authority, its the love of reality, and the reality is, a few changes to what comes default isnt enough to call it something else. there needs to be a real dividing line for that to happen. so as far as im concerned, anything -buntu is ubuntu. this includes linux mint etc

viperdvman
October 2nd, 2011, 12:32 AM
Well, the reason that KDE is Kubuntu, Xfce is Xubuntu, while GNOME/Unity is Ubuntu is because Ubuntu came first. It was the original, and shipped with the GNOME desktop environment. So any derivatives with other desktop environments just added a letter or a few to the name (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu, etc.).

I have Ubuntu on my desktop with both the Unity/GNOME and KDE desktops, but it's still not Kubuntu since I added KDE to it.

Whether it's Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Edubuntu, Mythbuntu, whatever, they are ALL the same Ubuntu, just with a different desktop environment or geared toward something more specific. And all of the just named are official derivatives supported by Canonical.

No, Fuduntu is not an official derivative, nor is it even a derivative of Ubuntu. It's actually a Fedora-based distro made to fit somewhere between Fedora and Ubuntu, as said on the Fuduntu website (I've played with it, and like it. It's Fedora that acts a little more like Ubuntu). That is where the -buntu and -untu naming can get confusing.