PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Confused- everything is a little messed up

histerija
September 30th, 2011, 12:34 PM
hello.

i'm a new user of ubuntu.
i installed it a week ago and really like it, but i'm getting desperate.

everything is a little messed up.

my network connection is working ok, and then suddenly it breaks. my signal is low and i don't know why. i'm using a samsung stick and my router is in the next room. when i used windows it worked good.

sometimes it takes 2,3,5 minutes and everything is ok, but sometimes i have to restart my computer. sometimes it happend 4,5,6 times a day.

then.. i installed wine and wanted to install Autocad and some other programs on it, but it didn't work. it said that my programs are not on a special list or something. i couldn't even instal a small dictionary program (ok, i can live without it, but i will really need Autocad soon)

then, my music player. i switched from banshee to amarok, because banshee was sometimes blocking or something- it took him 5 minutes to start playing a song.

but amarok is also a little weird. when i press the stop button on the system tray icon it doesn't do anything.and it takes quite long for it to start playing.
but maybe i should try another player.

i also think that maybe i messed up my computer a little by using bleach bit- does it happen often?
the program couldn't delete most files, but it deleted some of them.

cavh
September 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM
With so many random issues, I would suggest you bite the bullet and reinstall from scratch. If you can, do the installation with your computer attached to the internet via an Ethernet cable or cable modem, and run the update manager straight after the install to make sure your packages are up to date.

PS you don't need bleach bit or any other antivirus. This isn't Windows, thankfully.

ngubk
September 30th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I think Bleachbit is very helpful. I've used Ubuntu 3 years and this little program did help me clean up lots of unnecessary stuffs. Also you should run it as root user
However, if you are an AutoCad user, i'm not sure Ubuntu is your best choice ( running WINE is not always good and Autocad in WINE annoyed me before ).

themusicalduck
September 30th, 2011, 04:30 PM
What are the specs of your computer? Like RAM, CPU, graphics card. What model wireless stick do you have?

2F4U
September 30th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Whether Autocad works or not seems to depend upon what version you are running. Check this list:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=86

Results are varying, especially with newer versions of Autocad.

histerija
September 30th, 2011, 07:42 PM
What are the specs of your computer? Like RAM, CPU, graphics card. What model wireless stick do you have?

i have 1.2 Gb ram, and i think i have an ATI graphics card.

ah, i don't know.

maybe i will make a dual boot with windows later, but right now none of the programs i need works right. i can't install autocad and the other programs are too slow and buggy.

i read somewhere that it often happens that the wireless connection doesn't work good.

maybe i'll reinstall everything tomorrow.

Acquisitio
September 30th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Though I cannot offer you the solution for your problem I can tell you not to fall into the hysteria(as your username suggests) and to stand and find the way to enjoy your first cup of Ubuntu (that can be bitterly!).

histerija
October 2nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
i reinstalled ubuntu and now it seems better, but i will probably have to make a dual boot with windows later, so i can use all the programs i need. :/

mrgs
October 2nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Good, then please mark the thread 'solved'.