PDA

View Full Version : Moving from CentOS 5.7 to Ubuntu 10.04 for - LAMP, DNS, Murmur, Minecraft server

rs2k
September 30th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I've been using CentOS 5.X as a LAMP server for a few years now. I've been considering switching to Ubuntu 10.04 because it seems to have more packages that I use than CentOS does.

I'm at the stage where everything I know about running the server is from writing down things I've learned from scouring the net when a problem comes up.

I've done things like enable test repos and built programs from source to get things running (like murmur and ICE) when I know ubuntu already has packages available.

I've been wondering how much of a security or stability risk my CentOS server is now. For this reason I've been thinking the smart thing to do may be to swap to using Ubuntu and just learn the differences between the two OS's.

I'd like to know what others' opinions are on this.

MG&TL
September 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Debian (and by extension Ubuntu) use the apt system, which I found is more user-friendly.

Security and/or stability doesn't seem to be much of an issue, but if you want stability, you might want to look at a Debian command-line install. Not that Ubuntu's unstable.

I would have said that CentOS, as a redhat clone, is probably a little more reliable, but Ubuntu has more packages and a friendlier system.

And the forum's great, too.. :D

Dangertux
September 30th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I've been using CentOS 5.X as a LAMP server for a few years now. I've been considering switching to Ubuntu 10.04 because it seems to have more packages that I use than CentOS does.

I'm at the stage where everything I know about running the server is from writing down things I've learned from scouring the net when a problem comes up.

I've done things like enable test repos and built programs from source to get things running (like murmur and ICE) when I know ubuntu already has packages available.

I've been wondering how much of a security or stability risk my CentOS server is now. For this reason I've been thinking the smart thing to do may be to swap to using Ubuntu and just learn the differences between the two OS's.

I'd like to know what others' opinions are on this.

As far as security goes there is no way for us to give an opinion on that since we have no idea what configuration you are running on any of those services. If you are asking the question is a properly configured CentOS server more or less secure than a properly configured Ubuntu server, it's a toss up.

In terms of reliability and stability they match up about the same. Debian is also good. However there is nothing wrong with Ubuntu server. Just because Ubuntu is more well known as a desktop OS does not male it any less formidable in the server realm. Unless of course you want to get into virtualization in which case CentOS /Red Hat are the gold standard IMO.

I've used both and can say Ubuntu is more intuitive but both can get you where you are wanting to go.