PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ecryptfs-recover-private

dragonbook
September 27th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Hello

I have encrypted my home folder during installation of Ubuntu 11.04 and are now testing whether I via live CD can "recover" my files in home folder.

I open terminal and write:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo ecryptfs-recover-private
INFO: Searching for encrypted private directories (this might take a while)...
INFO: Found [/media/e7d575a1-be3d-4675-a042-505461e7392f/home/.ecryptfs/dragonbook/.Private].
Try to recover this directory? [Y/n]: y
INFO: Enter your LOGIN passphrase...
Passphrase:
Inserted auth tok with sig [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] into the user session keyring
INFO: Success! Private data mounted read-only at [/tmp/ecryptfs.iV6aErKB]. I go into the folder / tmp/ecryptfs.iV6aErKB But I cannot access.

I suppose it has something with "Inserted auth tok with sig [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Into the user session keyring" to do. (note that sig is replacing the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

Someone who knows what I need to do to be able to see my files.

::: NOTE I can easily get to my files by booting up into Ubuntu normally. I merely try to come to my encrypted files via live CD to test whether it works (always nice to know if anything happens).

Paddy Landau
September 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have done this. Curiously, the instructions are incomplete and it took a couple of weeks for me to find the answer. This was a couple of versions ago, so I hope it still works!

First, some basic information:

When you boot from your Live CD, your original directory will look like this:
/home/.ecryptfs/dragonbook/.Private
(I have assumed your user name is dragonbook; obviously, change to whatever it really is.)
You will find your ecryptfs signature here:
/home/.ecryptfs/dragonbook/.ecryptfs/Private.sig
We use this as a double-check later.
The contents and file names are decrypted separately.

Now, boot from your Live CD.

Create a folder where you can mount your decrypted files.
sudo mkdir /mnt/dragonbook
Get the key decryption strings as follows.

sudo ecryptfs-add-passphrase --fnek
Passphrase: Enter your 32-character code.
Inserted auth tok with sig [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] into the user session keyring
Inserted auth tok with sig [yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy] into the user session keyringNote the strings [xxx...], used to decrypt the contents, and [yyy...], used to decrypt the file names.
Check that [xxx...] and [yyy...] agree with the the lines 1 and 2 respectively in your ecryptfs signature (from above). If not, you might have mistyped your 32-character code.
Decrypt the folder as follows. If you wish to access it read-only, change -t (in the first line) to -rt. Accept the defaults (i.e. press Enter) to all prompts except where I say otherwise.

sudo mount -t ecryptfs /media/backup/dragonbook/.Private /mnt/dragonbook
Passphrase: Enter (again) the 32-character code.
: : : : :
Enable filename encryption (y/n) [n]: y
Filename Encryption Key (FNEK) Signature [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]: Enter [yyy...] string from point 2.
Would you like to proceed with the mount (yes/no)? : yes
in order to avoid this warning the future (yes/no)? : Enter 'no' for more security, or 'yes' to note it permanently.

Also see, if you are interested, the following two threads:
Where I found the answer (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8473251#post8473251)
How to access your folder from Recovery Mode (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1630994)

Let us know if it works.

dragonbook
September 30th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Hi Paddy Landau

Should I start in a specific directory before I run:
sudo ecryptfs-add-passphrase - fnek

I've tried everything you suggest but it gives me an error at the end.

Paddy Landau
September 30th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Should I start in a specific directory before I run:
sudo ecryptfs-add-passphrase - fnek

I've tried everything you suggest but it gives me an error at the end.
Please tell us the error! We cannot help if we don't know what's going on. I am not aware of needing to change to a specific directory, but the error will help us determine this.