PDA

View Full Version : Debian email\bookmarks recovory tools

johngar
September 25th, 2011, 08:40 PM
hello to every one,
i had Debian 5 installed, and after (trying to use it) using it i realized it was too advanced for my level.
i installed Ubuntu 10.04 to another hard drive that had windows xp pre installed. so i was dual booting xp/Ubuntu.
Firefox didn't manage to find the data.
also i connected the Debian hdd as a secondary storage drive, thinking Thunderbird would pick it up and import my emails\bookmarks etc.
i did try Simple backup, but i didn't know-see which folder to backup and don't have much space left to copy everything.
i tried a plugin for Firefox, Xmarks no joy.
how do you locate and copy my emails\bookmarks etc, or a program that is easy to use
thanks

stlsaint
September 27th, 2011, 01:11 AM
NOTE: This particular forum is used for support of the Ubuntu Christian Edition distro.

Per your question your browser (firefox, chrome, opera, etc) Can easily export your bookmarks into a simple file that you can save and move to your new install and use a browser to restore. I am not sure with the thunderbird emails. I would look at the wiki or their site for further details.

Megaptera
September 27th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Did you set up Xmarks on XP and then use the same 'account' on Ubuntu? Xmarks needs the data saved first to set up on second operating system.
Also, in XP does whichever browser you use allow you to save favourites as html? If so save them in XP, boot in to Ubuntu & open your browser, you should then have a restore bookmarks option, navigate to whereever in XP you saved your favourites and find that html file and hopefully they'll be imported.