PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on ASUS Eee Pad Slider?

Rubykuby
September 24th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Hey people. I might be getting an Eee Pad Slider in November, which is basically an Eee Pad Transformer with a smooth built-in keyboard rather than an attachable dock. Thing is, I'm planning to use the tablet productively, so Android isn't quite my first choice.

Now I've managed to find quite some videos of the Eee Pad Transformer running Ubuntu almost flawlessly, but I'm wondering whether the same can be done to the Slider. To my knowledge, the Slider has been released in the USA and is yet to be released in the UK, but I have yet to find anything useful from USA users in regard to the subject. And if Ubuntu won't work on it straight away, what are the odds there will be a version out there in November?

To make things easier for judgement on the matter, I'll link the videos and specs. Thanks in advance.

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer:

The Asus Eee Pad Transformer is an Android 3.2 tablet which comes in either a 16GB or a 32GB version. It also boasts the following features:

10.1" WSVGA (1280x800) IPS Capacitive LED Touchscreen
NVIDIA Tegra 2 CPU; 1GB of DDR2 SDRAM, 1 slot, 1GB Max; Wireless 802.11bgn; Bluetooth 2.1
Mini HDMI Port; Micro SD Card Slot; 1.2MP (front) and 5.0MP (rear) Webcam
GPS; E Compass, Gravity Sensor; Light Sensor; Gyroscope; 24.4W/h Lithium Polymer Battery - 9.5 Hours Battery Life
Docking port for optional keyboard
ASUS Eee Pad Slider

10.1″ LED Backlit Multitouch Display @ 1200 x 800 pixels resolution
Nvidia Tegra 2 1.0 Dual processor
1GB RAM
16/32GB Storage with Unlimited Asus Web Storage
WiFi b/g/n and Bt 2.1
5MP rear and 1.2MP front cameras
Surround Sound
HDMI, USB 2.0, MicroSD & Audio Ports
8hrs ave. life at 25Wh Li-Polymer battery
Color: Brown, White
Price (not yet announce): $500 $600 as my calculated price
Links to Ubuntu on the Transformer:
http://eeepadhacks.net/transformer-hacks/how-to-install-native-ubuntu-on-eeepad-transformer/
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/almost-perfect-native-ubuntu-on-asus-transformer/

Rubykuby
September 28th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I'm sorry to bump this, but I'd love a reply.

Rubykuby
September 30th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Bump. (Sorry)

darence
November 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Er... bump! I'd like to know the same!

Queso2469
November 29th, 2011, 12:14 AM
So I take it nobody knows anything on it? (Also ancient bump cause it was the first hit on Google)

LinuxFan999
November 29th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Search for a tutorial on installing Ubuntu on the Eee pad transformer. It should work on the Eee pad slider too.