PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unity: swithc off advertizing hw?

ottosykora
September 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Next Q:

when I open some program, each time I am presented with half page of advertising for some programs I should install, which I feel very disturbing.

Is there any way to get rid of this forced view of advertizing in unity?

vasa1
September 23rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Next Q:

when I open some program, each time I am presented with half page of advertising for some programs I should install, which I feel very disturbing.

Is there any way to get rid of this forced view of advertizing in unity?

Which is this "some program"?

ottosykora
September 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
not sure how they call it, probably application dash? or similar

when I click on the icon with small cross on it, there where I can start some program not included in the launcher bar.

Upper half of the page is containing some of my programs installed, bottom half of the screen contains advertising.

Is there a way to switch this advertising off?

vasa1
September 23rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
not sure how they call it, probably application dash? or similar

when I click on the icon with small cross on it, there where I can start some program not included in the launcher bar...

"Applications"? And then "apps available for download"?

If not, could you put up a screenshot?

If yes, then my screen has three roughly equal parts:
Most frequently used...
Installed...
and
Apps available for download...

I would think of the last more as a suggestion and not as advertising. In any case, I don't use that particular part of the launcher and so it doesn't bother me.

I click on the top dash if I need to launch something that isn't readily at hand by right-clicking on a file, for example.

ottosykora
September 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
>and
Apps available for download...
<

this what I mean, is there no way to disable this nonsense cluttering of the list of programs?
This forced advertising of something I do not ask for is simply clutter on that page.

As I do not remember the names of programs, I can not start them by typing name in dash and have to use this way for launching programs which are not in the launcher bar.

So my wish is to stop this permanent advertising of some programs I did not ask for.