PDA

View Full Version : [other] Chinese 7in. Netbook, changing os?

GreatGeak
September 22nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone!

I've seen this discussion before, but the post I was looking at was a year old, so I thought I'd bring up the issue again, and see if you guys can give me a hand. please.

The project started out as a simple concept:
Purchase a 7" Mini Netbook Notebook Laptop and switch out the operating system (Windows CE), which is the only reason the netbook has been poorly rated.

The IDEAL conditions:
I have a good working netbook, running a slick, light weight, web centric version of Linux. My considerations have been JoliOS, ChromiumOS, Ubuntu/Xubuntu, and PepermintOS.

The speed bump:
After purchase, I find out there is seemingly no bios.
From what I've heard, it runs off an integrated 2gb SSD drive.
The closest I've come, is putting a "Script" file with Android onto an SD card and running it on the computer. This regrettably brings up an error, through the command prompt, and then boots into Windows CE *Shiffers just saying the name*

My hopes:
That I can remove god awful Windows CE, and go with a more friendly version of linux.

Please note:
installing operating systems is regrettably about the limit of my geek (that and running linux live to save data). When you go into "flashing" and "ARM" I get semi confused and lost, talk slow to me. Just a side note. ;)

Thanks in advance for any support,
Sam/GreatGeak

grahammechanical
September 23rd, 2011, 01:53 AM
Hi

I do not know what you are talking about either. Can you post the make and model? Someone might get curious and google it. Does it have USB ports?

Regards.

hansdown
September 23rd, 2011, 02:26 AM
Hi GreatGeak.

Is it one of these?

http://www.chinanetbooks.com/7-inch-netbook.html

This one appears to have the os flashed on to it.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/chinese/7in-netbook/

MartyBuntu
September 23rd, 2011, 03:02 AM
Unfortunately, it sounds like like you've already bought this.

These "devices" (I use the term loosely) truly stretch the definition of "notebook" or even "netbook".

They are poorly rated for more reasons than just because the ship with Windows CE. They are underpowered, underperforming "toys"...and that's being kind.

drawkcab
September 23rd, 2011, 06:47 AM
You can still get a refurbished 7" eeepc for $120. It would run puppy, slitaz...possibly lubuntu if you built it up from minimal install.

$40-$50 more would get you into a refub'd atom netbook that would run ubuntu quite easily.

GreatGeak
September 23rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
@hansdown
it does not seem to be any of those but it is very closely related to the CNR704 model. There are just some slight differences.
I think that one with the hpformfactor link might be extremely similar as well, because the picture they have posted below http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/chinese/7in-netbook/010-box-shot.jpg is the same as what's shown on my box. How would I "flash" an operating system on? Let alone now that it already has one.

@drawkcab (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=121336), and MartyBuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=704369)
I am uninterested in a netbook for myself. This was somewhat of a pet project. I am aware at what I bought and am interested (if at all possible) in getting a linux os on it with or without the bios. It is actually a very fast computer, because there is no bios, and it's an SSD drive.

@grahammechanical (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1087323)
There is no make and model...literally. And the manual shows no owner, company, or website.

snowpine
September 23rd, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hi GreatGeek, there is some good info in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349626

The short answer is: it's not a beginner project.

maul9999
September 23rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
Hello everyone!

I've seen this discussion before, but the post I was looking at was a year old, so I thought I'd bring up the issue again, and see if you guys can give me a hand. please.

The project started out as a simple concept:
Purchase a 7" Mini Netbook Notebook Laptop and switch out the operating system (Windows CE), which is the only reason the netbook has been poorly rated.

The IDEAL conditions:
I have a good working netbook, running a slick, light weight, web centric version of Linux. My considerations have been JoliOS, ChromiumOS, Ubuntu/Xubuntu, and PepermintOS.

The speed bump:
After purchase, I find out there is seemingly no bios.
From what I've heard, it runs off an integrated 2gb SSD drive.
The closest I've come, is putting a "Script" file with Android onto an SD card and running it on the computer. This regrettably brings up an error, through the command prompt, and then boots into Windows CE *Shiffers just saying the name*

My hopes:
That I can remove god awful Windows CE, and go with a more friendly version of linux.

Please note:
installing operating systems is regrettably about the limit of my geek (that and running linux live to save data). When you go into "flashing" and "ARM" I get semi confused and lost, talk slow to me. Just a side note. ;)

Thanks in advance for any support,
Sam/GreatGeak

Hmm.. I think you will need netbook version linux. Also there is no such as ARM for laptop windows-base. Yes they do have BIOS. No BIOS, computer died.

GreatGeak
September 23rd, 2011, 07:19 PM
@snowpine (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=479885)
I saw that thread, but nothing seemed definite...and I couldn't quite put together a route at which I could take of my own. It seemed more like..."this os mod worked for me" "it didn't work for me" "it worked for me" "it didn't work for jimmy or tommy"

I don't know...maybe it was just hard for me to follow.

EDIT:
here I've copied over the specs for you guys.

Processor

Processor Type: VIA ARM 32bit CPU
Processor Clock Speed: 266M Hz
Processor/Manufacturer: VIA
Processor Model: VIA-ARM 920

Memory

RAM/Technology: DRAM
RAM Installed Size: 128M at 133MHz

Hard Drive

Hard Drive Type: NAND Fast Flash
Hard Drive Capacity: 2GB
Hard Drive Spindle Speed: NAND Fast Flash

Connectivity Ports

Ports: 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x SDCard slot, 1 x Ethernet LAN Port (RJ45)
Audio/Video: Integrated Quadraphonic Speakers, 1x 1/8" (3.5mm) Headphone/Line-Out, 1x 1/8" (3.5mm) Microphone, Input 1x Integrated Microphone

Internet Connectivity

Networking/Data Link Protocol: Fast Ethernet,IEEE 802.11b,IEEE 802.11g
Wireless Connection: Wifi
Support WPA(Wifi Protected Access), AES / CCMP & WEP with TKIP securtiy

Software

Operating System: WinCE 6.0

Screen

Display Diagonal Size: 7" TFT HD
Max Resolution: 800x480
Display Technology: TFT
Graphics Type: Integrated Graphics

Power & Battery

Built-in 2100 mA/H Li-ion and 5V adapter
Comes with AC wall adapter

Input Device

Keyboard: 80 Key
Pointing Device: TrackPad

General

Product Type: Notebook
Color: Black, White, Red,Pink
Dimensions: 255mm x 167mm x 38mm

Format Support

Video Format Support: AVI, MP4, 3GP(MPEG4 Profile), ASF(MPEG4 Profile)
Music Format Support: MP3, WMA, AAC, AAC+, CAT, max up to 48KHz at 320kbps

Package Included

1 x Mini Notebook
1 x AC Adapter
1 x User's Manual

bobsmith5002@gmail.com
September 23rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
I have been lurking on this topic for literally years. If there are those who discover a very low cost (i.e., disposable) netbook solution for ubuntu, I would be thrilled.

snowpine
September 23rd, 2011, 09:55 PM
I have been lurking on this topic for literally years. If there are those who discover a very low cost (i.e., disposable) netbook solution for ubuntu, I would be thrilled.

The original Asus EEE had 512mb RAM, 900mhz processor, and a "real" BIOS. Ubuntu is known to run quite well on these. They are available for under $100 on eBay.

GreatGeak
September 24th, 2011, 05:57 PM
The original Asus EEE had 512mb RAM, 900mhz processor, and a "real" BIOS. Ubuntu is known to run quite well on these. They are available for under $100 on eBay.

I personally am looking for resale value...hopeing to bump it by getting the product into the us and switching the OS. My max price is 100$ (as that is what I'd like to sell them for). If there were such a chinese netbook with a BIOS, that would be wonderful. :/

snowpine
September 24th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I personally am looking for resale value...hopeing to bump it by getting the product into the us and switching the OS. My max price is 100$ (as that is what I'd like to sell them for). If there were such a chinese netbook with a BIOS, that would be wonderful. :/

I want to be sure I understand what you're asking.

You don't need support for yourself; you are looking for advice about a potential business idea.

Your business plan is to buy brand-new Chinese netbooks and then sell them used at a higher price.

Your rationale for the price increase is that you have "modded" them to run Ubuntu instead of Windows CE. In other words, you want to be compensated for your time and expertise installing Linux on ARM netbooks.

Is that accurate?

If so, then you need to demonstrate to your potential customers that you are an expert providing a tested and reliable solution, but (no offense) your question indicates you did not Google "Ubuntu hardware requirements" or "Ubuntu-compatible netbooks" before choosing your hardware platform.

The good news is that there are people on Ubuntu Forums who actually make their living selling and supporting Ubuntu pre-installed computers. Drop by the System 76, Dell, and Asus sub-forums, and you will get some good advice on how to develop, market, and promote your product. Good luck! :)

GreatGeak
September 24th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I want to be sure I understand what you're asking.

You don't need support for yourself; you are looking for advice about a potential business idea.

Your business plan is to buy brand-new Chinese netbooks and then sell them used at a higher price.

Your rationale for the price increase is that you have "modded" them to run Ubuntu instead of Windows CE. In other words, you want to be compensated for your time and expertise installing Linux on ARM netbooks.

Is that accurate?

If so, then you need to demonstrate to your potential customers that you are an expert providing a tested and reliable solution, but (no offense) your question indicates you did not Google "Ubuntu hardware requirements" or "Ubuntu-compatible netbooks" before choosing your hardware platform.

The good news is that there are people on Ubuntu Forums who actually make their living selling and supporting Ubuntu pre-installed computers. Drop by the System 76, Dell, and Asus sub-forums, and you will get some good advice on how to develop, market, and promote your product. Good luck! :)

Yea, it's obvious I didn't research as thorough as I should have. I actually bought this netbook as a pet project, so even though it's a dud, I can use it for something.
I don't want you to think I'm a con artist though...I'm not planning on selling this current netbook. The only reason I would have bought and resold, was if I felt that the netbook ran to my standards, and worked well with a linux operating system.

Thanks for the advice though...I didn't realize this was a old idea, that I can simply enact in my area.

Edit:
All I really need though is a cheap netbook with a bios...I'm not planning on installing Ubuntu specifically, I was actually just looking for a small web centric OS that would work with whatever specific netbook I purchased.

snowpine
September 24th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Oh no, I am not accusing you of being a con artist! :) I just want to be sure you understand that Ubuntu will not work on your netbook before you proceed much further with your plan.

The BIOS is only a small part of the problem; the bigger issue is that the hardware specs are too low for any modern, full-featured operating system.

GreatGeak
September 25th, 2011, 06:17 AM
The BIOS is only a small part of the problem; the bigger issue is that the hardware specs are too low for any modern, full-featured operating system.

I'm pretty sure DSL or Puppy Linux would have no problem with those specs.

snowpine
September 25th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'm pretty sure DSL or Puppy Linux would have no problem with those specs.

DSL is a dead project and never supported ARM; Puppy does not support ARM at this time (but might in the future).