PDA

View Full Version : I've left Firefox behind and moved to Chrome

Turmoyl
September 21st, 2011, 07:20 AM
Firefox has been degrading for a few years now. Growing in size and resource footprint, getting more and more complex without cause, and introducing new bugs seemingly monthly.

I finally got fed up with the horrible plugin management (both from an administration perspective, and the new plugin wrapper that sucks up 99% CPU), not seeing my cursor in Facebook text areas for like the last year, the incompatibility with Java 6 Update 26 which screws up my online math course and sometimes causes the browser to crash hard, etc.

I first grabbed Chrome to work around the problem with my online math course, but soon found it to be a cleaner, leaner, more compatible browser than Firefox is today. After a few days I imported all my settings from Firefox into it, and set it as my default browser.

I have no illusions of Chrome being perfect, or staying as lean as it is forever, but I feel it's the best place to be today for browsing on Linux.

uncontrolable™
September 21st, 2011, 07:38 AM
Cool. I am all for using whatever makes one happy. I use Firefox most of the time, as it is the only linux browser which is compatible with my school's servers.

magsnus
September 21st, 2011, 07:46 AM
Been using Firefox for a long time. Just of curiosity I tried out chrome and have never looked back. Great stuff

k_0z
September 21st, 2011, 08:06 AM
Not a good idea. Chrome preloads pages and that's very bad. I'll take IE over Chrome any day :*(

8_Bit
September 21st, 2011, 08:30 AM
For me, Firefox has been extremely crashy (lots of lockups too) on Windows since v6.0. So I'm thinking of switching over to Chromium.

Firefox still works fine on Linux though so I'm sticking with it there.

sffvba[e0rt
September 21st, 2011, 08:52 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

ld114
September 21st, 2011, 09:00 AM
I have installed Chrome to see how it gets on. So far I like it as a zippy browser where with iGoogle I can see my gmail inbox as well as news and other information. I like the automatic sync of bookmarks and themes between different machines - and the fact that I can hide the igoogle searchbox so that it uses less space on the smaller screen on a netbook (with adblock).

vehemoth
September 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM
I've often wondered if chrome was any good for those that knew how to and liked to customise their browser. I'm a bit surprised that you didn't go with chromium but I'm sure you had a good reason so I can only hope that firefox improves for you.

Retlol
September 21st, 2011, 12:26 PM
Chrome is not a bad browser, far from, but it's no Firefox.

Chrome crashes a lot, they claim their tabs are sandboxed and what not, but if something crashes it always crashes the entire browser.

The plug-ins aren't so good as the Firefox ones, it looks horrible and I prefer the rendering of Gekco more than Webkit.

I used Chrome for a few months during the FF 3.x days because Chrome was a lot faster, that's no longer an issue.

Edit: And ofc the stats Google collects for their ads are free in Chrome :p

BigSilly
September 22nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
I really like Chrome, but I still prefer Firefox overall. Chrome however, is incredibly nippy, there's no two ways about it. I only hope FF catches up speed wise.

Lucradia
September 22nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
Well, that's all well and good for you, but I cannot:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1758275

The guys over there, maintaining chromium's source said most of the issues are non-issues, and will not be fixed, ever.