View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do you think this lapop + Ubuntu = good idea?

September 21st, 2011, 02:29 AM
Well, i have always wanted to go for uBuntu because i just want to use different OS other than Windows and Mac, just want something fresh, and i love the open source of it

but at the same time, i really want to be able to play games, now, i know that in uBuntu, you must use wine to play Windows game, and the wine makes the performance drop, that i know

and i also seen lots of people with monster PC rig using uBuntu, and many games works just fine

so here's a question to all those uBuntu gamer out there

do you think this Laptop ( which i am buying soon )

i7 2630QM
GTX560 2GB
7200rpm HDD

this is ASUS G53SX

will run games on Wine with at least medium-high and play fine?

the games that i will be playing most is probably Skyrim and SWTOR and maybe Guild Wars 2

i know these 3 is not yet out, but i take it that, if people can play Crysis2 on uBuntu with no problem like this:

then i can see no problem with other games?

thanks before!

Bucky Ball
September 21st, 2011, 02:34 AM
You should probably be asking if Ubuntu will work on that machine cos if it will, so will Wine. The next question you should ask is whether your games will work with Wine and that is unknowable as they aren't out yet.

Your comment that performance drops with Wine is not really right. Some users report better performance with some games on some rigs. Other games don't work at all. You are best to check the WineHQ and do some digging.

I notice 'Guild Wars, all versions' is listed on the first page, top ten platinum list. Just search for your other games there and see what you find.

September 21st, 2011, 02:54 AM
hmm yeah haha i should have asked at the Wine forum

ok thanks for replying though