PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Default monitor resolutions too low.

oddsteph
September 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Hello,

I've just installed ubuntu 10.04 on my desktop as a dual boot with windows 7. My problem is that the available monitor resolutions in ubuntu are much lower than the correct resolution for my monitor (which is fine in windows). Can anyone tell me how to add a higher resolution for the monitor please?

The monitor I'm using is a Dell with the model number SE197FPf. I haven't been able to find any information about the specifications.

I also have an nvidia GT430 graphics card (which I suspect is causing the problem).

I plan to upgrade to a newer version of ubuntu very soon, so if that will make the solution any easier I will do it today.

I will be happy to provide more information if more is needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

oddsteph
September 21st, 2011, 12:18 PM
Anyone have any ideas at all? 800x600 is rather annoying when the monitor can do 1280x1024 :( (Sorry if posting again is frowned upon, I looked at the code of conduct and couldn't find anything to say not to do it.)

I have followed all of the advice in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=269052) (a previous monitor resolution fixing thread), but nothing has worked. I don't have an xorg.conf file at all, and from reading it seems like this is no longer used and the advice is to start a new thread for help.

As I said before, any ideas would be very much appreciated :)