PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu + Compiz: A perfect match for me. And you?

rectec794613
September 20th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Just dropping by to say that I'm using Lubuntu now. With Compiz (*GASP*). Yes I want to talk about my experience with Compiz and LXDE. I understand that using a fancy WM like Compiz may seem oxymoron on Lubuntu. I'm here to talk about the benefits. So, not only have any previous performance issues from using Compiz with GNOME been alleviated, but now I can still use a fully updated Ubuntu system without Unity. This may be one of the best Linux-related decisions I've made. Before, I was wary of using Lubuntu with Compiz, because not many people have had luck with getting it to work with LXDE. However now, I think that problem may have been fixed. It hasn't caused any major issues, I've only had some minor issues with the desktop. I think of it as simply combining the speed of LXDE with the beauty of Compiz. Genius!

Just wanted to shed some light on this subject. I also want to hear about your thoughts and experiences with the two. Is anyone else also using this setup? How has it been so far? Do you think this is a good alternative to Compiz with GNOME 2.x now that it's being phased out? (This is why I didn't post this in Testimonials.)

Cheers!

screaminj3sus
September 21st, 2011, 01:02 AM
I think LXDE or XFCE with compiz could be a solid alternative for people who liked the gnome 2 way of doing things, and previously used gnome 2 with compiz.

BrokenKingpin
September 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM
I really don't see the point. If you want an alternative to Gnome just use Xfce. Xfce is just as functional as Gnome, but light and already has a built in compositor. Sure you don't get the spinning cube, but who gives a ****.

And if you really want a full DE with super fancy effects that you don't actually need, just use KDE.

mips
September 21st, 2011, 07:18 PM
Xfce is just as functional as Gnome, but light and already has a built in compositor.

I use XFCE at the moment and definitely would not call it 'light'.

ninjaaron
September 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM
Does that give you GTK or openbox window borders?

beastrace91
September 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM

+1

For "light" desktops today LXDE or Enlightenment are the best ways to go.

Personally I prefer Enlightenment :)

~Jeff

Copper Bezel
September 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM
ninjaaron, with Compiz running over LXDE, you'd get the Metacity-look-alike window borders provided by gtk-window-decorator (or Emerald, if you have it.)

I really don't see the point. If you want an alternative to Gnome just use Xfce. Xfce is just as functional as Gnome, but light and already has a built in compositor. Sure you don't get the spinning cube, but who gives a ****.
That's not the goal, though. rectec wanted light weight, plus dressings. XFCE is middle-weight without the glitz.

Running Compiz over LXDE would be very similar to using Compiz as a standalone window manager, which I've done in the past (though I ultimately switched back to Gnome.) At the very least, it's fun to play with just how little you can get along with and still have a modern-looking UI. = D

BrokenKingpin
September 21st, 2011, 09:02 PM
Seems to run perfectly fine on my crappy netbook, where Gnome is considerably slower on.

If you install Xfce on it's own without all the stuff the the Xubuntu desktop brings in it is pretty damn snappy. Sure LXDE is lighter, but it doesn't have half the features of Xfce. I can guarantee that Xfce is faster than LXDE + Compiz.

Oxwivi
September 21st, 2011, 09:29 PM
Does LXDE automatically use Compiz once it's installed? How do you use Compiz with LXDE/Lubuntu?

beastrace91
September 21st, 2011, 09:29 PM
I can guarantee that Xfce is faster than LXDE + Compiz.

Yes, but he wanted compiz. If you are just looking at desktop to desktop LXDE smokes XFCE by a good deal in terms of "light"

~Jeff

Atamisk
September 22nd, 2011, 02:05 AM
I use LXDE+ Compiz, and i love every bit of it. I use it in the exact way i used Gnome, nd it's every bit as functional. I know it's an oxymoron to use a light DE with a huge WM, but i don't care, i just like the look of LXDE better than XFCE. PLus, both computers i did this to are powerhouses, so i didn't notice a plus or minus on performance under gnome.

EDIT: Gratuitous screenie!
(Compiz+Emerald+LXDE)
EDIT2: aargh, imageshack sucks.

BrokenKingpin
September 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Yes, but he wanted compiz. If you are just looking at desktop to desktop LXDE smokes XFCE by a good deal in terms of "light"

~Jeff
Correct, but Xfce has a compositor built in, where LXDE does not. My point is Xfce office the nice features of a compositing DE while still being pretty light. It is a good compromise between speed and features.

amjjawad
September 22nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Does LXDE automatically use Compiz once it's installed?

No. Openbox is the default WM in Lubuntu 11.04 and LXDE in general.

amjjawad
September 22nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
Perhaps I have different point of view from everyone here so I'll share it with you all.

First thing first, have a look at LXDE Website (on my signature) and you'll understand that LXDE meant to be used on OLD machines and I'm telling you, LXDE could dazzle you :)
For me, LXDE+Compiz = O_o
However, I've read here and LXDE Forum about many users who ran away from Unity and went to LXDE. If that's the case, then LXDE+Compiz is totally understandable and at least one can tell from all that came from. Yes, I also found some old threads/topics on LXDE Forum which talk about LXDE with Compiz but I guess those who are using it now are more.

My PC (P4 @3GHz - 2GB RAM - Intel Graphics Chipset) is very much capable of running Unity but I installed Unity (Ubuntu 11.04) just for TESTING, nothing more. Can't deny I'm very little bit starting to understand some stuff but ... no thanks.
I'm MORE than happy with Lubuntu 11.04 on my PC.

On my other test PC (P4 with 512MB RAM), Lubuntu 11.04 still super fast.
On HP Omnibook 4150 (P2 @366 - 64MB RAM - 4GB HDD), LXDE (Mint 9) needs 2-3mins from starting up until a working Desktop while XP on the same machine needs 2-3mins to open a right click.

I don't like effects, that's me. YMMV. However, I'm planning to install Compiz for testing purposes.

My favorites DE are LXDE and GNOME 2.x and I just don't like the others so much.

:)