PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] File share for all users

DRouleau
September 19th, 2011, 06:12 PM
11.04 Server. I'm trying to set up a file share on my windows network (NT 4.0, oh yeah we are up to date here) :lolflag: We are actually moving to 2008 but still need to get this to work before the move (I'm sure I'll be re-asking this question once I get access to another server for our new network). Anyways, how can I get my Ubuntu server to recogonize members of my windows domain/workgroup? I made the changes in smb.conf from this (https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/serverguide/C/samba-fileserver.html) and obviously no luck. I can view the share folder and open it (from windows), but I can't add anything to it so it's obviously permissions based. The last time I had to do this was about 12 months ago with our CentOS Server and I remember that was a pain (still looking for my notes).
Thanks in advance!!

DRouleau
September 19th, 2011, 08:26 PM
At this point I'd be happy if one use could connect from windows and add a folder or file to the share, any ideas? I can view the empty directory, just can't do anything with it...

Morbius1
September 19th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I usually don't respond in the "Server" section of the forums because it's beyond my pay grade but there does seem to be a step missing from that HowTo.

The permissions on the shared folder have to be in sync with the authorization specified in the share definition so somewhere in this process you need to allow Linux "others" to have write access so a Samba "guest" can write:

sudo chmod 0777 /path/to/shared/folder

DRouleau
September 19th, 2011, 08:41 PM
This is the smb.conf file... not sure what else I can do?

[global]
workgroup = THOMAS
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
security = SHARE
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
usershare allow guests = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes