PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] System failure when connecting to a WPA/PEAP network

Willem1
September 17th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I am experiencing a severe problem when connecting to the network at my university. They use WPA/WPA2 Enterprise, PEAP with MSCHAPv2 authentication. If I connect to this network, I actually get a connection and I can access the internet. But after about 15 seconds very strange, seemingly unrelated things start to happen:

The KDE panel below suddenly hangs and restarts after 2 minutes. Then it works for about 15 seconds again, and it crashes again, and so on.
The icons on the desktop get unresponsive.
Adobe Flash Player randomly crashes in Mozilla Firefox. If I refresh the page, it works for a few seconds and then it crashes again.
If I do not manage to disconnect in five minutes or so, usually the whole system hangs and the only way to shut it down is using the Magic SysRq keys. (Even Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to tty1 doesn't work anymore.)

If I am connected at my home network (WEP security) there is no problem at all.
There are other reports on a probably related issue, like this (http://bugzilla.intellinuxwireless.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2286), this (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/plasma-widget-networkmanagement/+bug/577560) and other threads on this forum, but it seems that nobody has such extreme crashes like me.
As I am now connected to my home network to be able to post this, I am now unable to execute commands to get information about the network, but here is information about my system:

Machine: HP EliteBook 8540w
OS version: Kubuntu 11.04, 32 bit
From the lspci command:

44:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (rev 35)
From the lsmod command (I think these are the wireless modules):

iwlagn 284745 0
iwlcore 148964 1 iwlagn

If you need more information, or information that I have to collect when I am connected to the university network again (on Monday), please ask.
Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Willem1
October 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
For your information, this was solved when I upgraded to Oneiric. I have no idea what caused it, but I'm glad it is solved :)