PDA

View Full Version : PHP and SQLite

flightcrank
May 30th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Hi, im looking for some documentation to get started with PHP and SQLite.

I have a general knowledge of PHP but most books I have speak of mySQL ect..

I know there are only a few minimal differences, but im still a beginner and would prefer to have specific documentation regarding using PHP together with SQlite. with explanations as to why particular things work the way they do ect.

also is it possible to get Open Office 2. to open and edit SQLites filename.db files ?

also I have php5 in witch SQlite comes bundled with. I can create edit tables with the databases no problem from with PHP code.

but I can’t edit the same database files from the command line. I have installed the appropriate package to do this. but little or no documentation comes with the command line client. for example I have a /var/www/database/filename.db

how do I edit that from console ? to create/open a file its

SQlite filename.db I can do that fine it writes it to my home directory

so I assume you would simple do a

SQlite /var/www/database/filename.db

but that dosnt seem to work.

any way more importantly I would really like to be pointed to the way of some good in-depth books or resources for beginners using PHP and SQlite maby even more importantly what can be accomplished buy using them

THANKS !

Corvillus
May 30th, 2006, 09:19 PM
It could be a privileges issue. If your user doesn't own /var/www, it can't write to it, so you'd have to use sudo to access it. Also, on a different note, storing your SQLite database under /var/www or any other web-accessible directory might not be a good idea for security reasons, it might be better to store it somewhere else on the disk, and just give it permissions so that PHP can access it.

flightcrank
May 30th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the tip. my root directory is

/var/www/html

so i assume its safe in /var/www/databse/