PDA

View Full Version : Should I install Oneiric? I am a linux newbie

jonashendrickx
September 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I am a linux newbie, I know basic commands. Should I install the latest Oneiric build? I noticed there are daily builds... Does this mean I will have to update on a daily basis as well?

Will I be able to update to the RTM or final release SAFELY?
Does bumblebee work well?
Will I have many issues? Since I am scared of instability with Linux since I don't know how to fix it most of the time.

I like GNOME 3 that's why I want to try Oneiric in the first place...

But I was wondering if Gnome 3 will work on a 2630QM integrated GPU in the first place...

flipper T
September 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM
wait for final release, then try it out with live cd.

only a month to go.

PuddingKnife
September 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I am a linux newbie, I know basic commands. Should I install the latest Oneiric build?

Sure.

I noticed there are daily builds... Does this mean I will have to update on a daily basis as well?

Its a beta..bug fixes and updates are coming down the pipeline all the time. If you download a daily build and install it, and run updates every day, you will eventually have the final version of 11.10.

Will I be able to update to the RTM or final release SAFELY?

As I said above, d/ling a daily build and updating it consistently will leave you with the final version.

Does bumblebee work well?

I dont know what that is.

Will I have many issues? Since I am scared of instability with Linux since I don't know how to fix it most of the time.

If "issues" and instability are scary to you, then you might want to rethink your motivation to install a beta version of an entire operating system on your computer.

I like GNOME 3 that's why I want to try Oneiric in the first place...

Oneiric isn't the only place to find Gnome 3.

But I was wondering if Gnome 3 will work on a 2630QM integrated GPU in the first place...

Try a live CD/USB and find out.

ronacc
September 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Go with flipper T's advice and wait for release , even this late in the dev cycle things can go wrong that are trivial for some one with a bit of experience to fix but scary and impossible for a newbie . If you do decide to go ahead and install oneiric at this point do so on a seperate partition alongside a stable OS that will allow you to get to the forum for help , staring at a blank screen with no way to get help is not a good introduction to linux .

jonashendrickx
September 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I have experienced many advantages using Linux.

But themes for example are very hard to search for someone like me. Also good themes are hard to find.

Let's say I first had a ATI video card, which turned out to be incompatible with Gnome 3... But it worked perfect for everything else... Then I bought Nvidia notebook, which turned out to be worse in general. Optimus is really the worst thing I have ever seen.

But when Oneiric is on a Final release I am able to upgrade using:
sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
If I am correct.

Thanks for all the useful answers. I will stick with natty for now, and maybe test oneiric on another computer. I will see what it will bring me.

PuddingKnife
September 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM
In the old days, I used to do clean installs of new versions because it tended to get messy very quickly. I think they've got a handle on it now, and as a matter of fact, I upgraded my Natty install to Oneiric on my laptop just to see what would happen.

It was a very smooth transition that took about an hour. Like I said earlier, if instability is an issue, then you might want to rethink installing it or upgrading to Oneiric until the final release is out.

This is only my opinion, but I think the beta of Oneiric so far has been more stable than when I had Natty. It may just be that Gnome 3's codebase is sturdier, but I really havent run into any serious issues so far on my Oneiric machine. Mileage may vary, of course.

madjr
September 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I have experienced many advantages using Linux.

But themes for example are very hard to search for someone like me. Also good themes are hard to find.

Let's say I first had a ATI video card, which turned out to be incompatible with Gnome 3... But it worked perfect for everything else... Then I bought Nvidia notebook, which turned out to be worse in general. Optimus is really the worst thing I have ever seen.

But when Oneiric is on a Final release I am able to upgrade using:
sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
If I am correct.

Thanks for all the useful answers. I will stick with natty for now, and maybe test oneiric on another computer. I will see what it will bring me.

not so hard to find themes, i just googled these "ubuntu natty themes":

http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/05/top-6-ubuntu-1104-themes-to-make-natty.html
http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/linux-distributions/linux-distributions4-ubuntu/1673-nice-themes-for-ubuntu-1104-natty-narwhal

and yes, optimus is problematic (thanks nvidia!...), but this should get better in upcoming releases.

3rdalbum
September 15th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Scared of possible instability? Development versions are not for you.

Excited by new features, and willing to report bugs? What are you waiting for, download it now!

In seriousness, Oneiric is pretty good. It feels fairly stable here (I've disabled Apport, the "program crash" notifier). I've logged in after resuming from suspend and I have no gnome-settings-daemon running, so there's still gremlins. If you don't mind dealing with these, then jump on board and just keep your system up-to-date as usual to get the final release when it comes out.

jonashendrickx
September 15th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Just tried Oneiric on my desktop... Which is my junk computer in some sort of way... I have to say Oneiric is the most beautiful OS I have ever seen. Better than Windows 7 or Windows 8. Better than Mac OSX... We all think Gnome 3 or Unity suck. Or most of us do. I do not. I love those new interfaces. Personally I find Gnome 3 more attractive than unity in performance and graphics.

The new login screen is way too beautiful to be true. Let's say the new Ubuntu is just polished. It looks like a upgrade from Windows 95 to windows 8.

As soon as it runs stable I might consider installing it on my notebook as well. But I think I will wait for the final release to do that. I think they made serious progress with this new Ubuntu.

kansasnoob
September 15th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Learn to dual/multi-boot :)

Then if you've installed something you hate you'll still have the old OS to fall back on.

sammiev
September 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I would wait till it's not a beta any more. :)

alexvy13
September 16th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I am a Linux newbie and doing just great :) I seem to have gotten the basic idea on how to fix things when they go wrong haha