PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Restricting access to folders to certain users.

fenix88
September 15th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Greetings! Is there a way to restrict access to folders of non-admin users from other non-admin users, while allowing admin users to access the same folders?

fdrake
September 15th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Greetings! Is there a way to restrict access to folders of non-admin users from other non-admin users, while allowing admin users to access the same folders?

you can change the permission of the file/folder

sudo chmod 770 -R /home/user/Desktop/my_folder
this command will make the folder(and its current files readable/writable/executable to only the owner user and the members of its groups)
to change group of a file/folder (to the admin group)

sudo chgrp -R admin /home/user/Desktop/my_folder

to view the permissions of a file/folder do:

ls -al /home/user/Desktop/my_folder

for more info google around "linux permissions" (http://www.zzee.com/solutions/linux-permissions.shtml)
note: if you create new files the opermissions may be different depending on your umask!

fenix88
September 15th, 2011, 08:09 AM
All right! Thanks!

Is it safe to implement the chgrp in /etc/profile

Morbius1
September 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
My only caution to what was posted above concerns this line:

sudo chmod 770 -R /home/user/Desktop/my_folderThat will make every directory executable which you must do but it will also make every file executable which you probably don't want to do. Octal mode chmod can't differentiate between a folder and a file so I would suggest doing it this way:

sudo chmod -R a+rwX,o-rwx /home/user/Desktop/my_folderThe big "X" makes folders executable, keeps files that are already executable alone, and doesn't make non-executable files executable.