PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to beta 2

SushiAddiction
September 15th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I'm thinking of upgrading to beta 2 several days before 11.10 release to save time downloading the 11.10 official release. The downloads are so slow when every one updates all at once. It also takes time before the iso is mirrored.

Will this work? Is it a good idea?

Besides living with a few bugs for a few days are there any other negatives?

Will it leave more junk behind?

Thanks

drs305
September 15th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I do it with each release. Update it a few days later and you have the new release.

Rather than the Beta 2, you could even download the daily build, which would be even closer to the final release. (Disclaimer: I don't know at exactly what point the daily builds stop being posted.)

SushiAddiction
September 17th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks

Thought I'd post what I learnt.

After looking at the release schedule
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricReleaseSchedule

I've decided to install the release candidate available after October 6th.
I'm assuming that after the 6th Oct I do Alt+F2 then "update-manager -d"

Then it may update by itself to the final release when it is available or I may have to run "update-manager -d" after October 13th

drs305
September 17th, 2011, 11:57 AM
After the official release (Oct 13), if you run "update-manager -d" you may actually do an update to the next development release. Just run normal updates and it will keep your system current.

As a point of interest, you will initially receive very few updates once it's officially released. Often users who are new to the release process become concerned for the first few days because they are used to seeing a lot of packages being updated each day. The two main reasons are that there shouldn't be much to fix, and the devs probably take a bit of a well-deserved break. ;-)