PDA

View Full Version : Beta or daily build?

lobo_tuerto
September 13th, 2011, 06:54 PM
If I were to install today Ubuntu and I want to install 11.10, what is better? Download beta + upgrades, or daily build? is there a difference?

MG&TL
September 13th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Not that you'd notice if there is. I've done both, and there's no visible difference. The beta works for sure, so get that.

'tis awesome, btw.

mc4man
September 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM
If the current daily will boot and install I'd go with that, technically there should be no real difference, in practice there sometimes is.

sgage
September 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM
If I were to install today Ubuntu and I want to install 11.10, what is better? Download beta + upgrades, or daily build? is there a difference?

If you install from the daily build, you do save yourself a lot of upgrading.

I just re-installed today from the daily build, and it went very quickly and smoothly.

lobo_tuerto
September 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Excellent! Daily build it is then.

How do I checksum the downloaded ISO? I got the oneiric-desktop-amd64.iso and oneiric-desktop-i386.iso

ronacc
September 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM
one of the choices when the .iso boots should be "check disk for errors " or something like that .

edit : if you use k3b for burning it calculates the checksum when you select the .iso to burn . I don't remember if brassero does also as I almost always use k3b , I find it much more reliable .

jerrylamos
September 14th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Not that you'd notice if there is. I've done both, and there's no visible difference. The beta works for sure, so get that.

'tis awesome, btw.

On my notebook, tower, netbook the Beta was way way way out of date and had to be updated quite a bit to work right.

At this point, an update killed my Beta again, so I did a zsync to the latest daily build and installed that.

I'm getting pretty used to installing Oneiric. Of course I've got Narwhal, Meerkat, and Lynx LTS backups...

Jerry

cariboo907
September 14th, 2011, 04:26 AM
one of the choices when the .iso boots should be "check disk for errors " or something like that .

edit : if you use k3b for burning it calculates the checksum when you select the .iso to burn . I don't remember if brassero does also as I almost always use k3b , I find it much more reliable .

Brasero creates a checksum of the iso, then checks to see if they match after the burn is finished.