PDA

View Full Version : posting this from a pentium m gateway laptop

Antarctica32
September 13th, 2011, 12:56 AM
posting this from a gateway my friend's mom gave me. Its in pretty bad condition. the hinges are like broken and its all scratched up a lot. just wanted you all to know. I'm thinking about posting this about every new computer I get, accept for those that don't have wifi, ethernet, or a usb port for my wifi adapter- which is actually a lot. Would that be OK, forums admins? I mean it is the community cafe...

_d_
September 13th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Any pictures of said busted up laptop? :D

Antarctica32
September 13th, 2011, 01:51 AM
doing my homework now. I'll get some on here hopefully in the next 2 hours. I also just got a Toshiba satalite with a pentium duel core. I haven't been able to boot it as I have no charger for it. I get a couple computers every week (mostly desktops), so i figured why not post about them. What else did I get recently... my friend's dad (other friend) gave me an old P3 with a gaming power supply and a sick pci expansion metal plate thing ( not a card ) with 2 nobs that control the GPU fan and the CPU fan. My brother just bought a dell duo if that counts, and I really don't like it. Oh and my friend gave me 3 PCI cards: 1 with 3 external firewires and 1 internal, one with 3 firewires 2 USBs and 1 interal USB, and another with only 5 USBs. And I found a microphone at my local junkyard.

Antarctica32
September 13th, 2011, 04:17 AM
yeah here are a few pics before i thump lucid on it. I was thinking of doing a duel boot with XP, just to watch Netflix. Its a shame i cant boot from usb on it, it would be a lot faster. I can't wait till someday all computers will boot from usb, by then some will probably be able to boot from a wireless flash drive anyway so i can't wait till that either. Ignore the last picture, added that by accident

Famicube64
September 13th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Congratulations?

as2000
September 13th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I love old computers. My goal at some point is to scrounge up another old box with the pile of old parts that I have yet to go though. I so get a kick out of doing that and the fun of watching something so old run like new again. Currently, the oldest machine I have is a PIII running 8.04. I think I got the guts for a P2 or Pentium! I dunno...

Ric_NYC
September 13th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Let it go...

:)

Lucradia
September 13th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Guessing you got that used or from a workplace? Because that BOIRON Logo doesn't look like it's a mere sticker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiron

I want the old G logo back too. :<

overdrank
September 13th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I'm thinking about posting this about every new computer I get, accept for those that don't have wifi, ethernet, or a usb port for my wifi adapter- which is actually a lot. Would that be OK, forums admins?
Congrats, just keep this thread going with all your new machines. :)

keithpeter
September 13th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Good for you reusing hardware that would otherwise end up in landfill or being 'recycled' (i.e. burned for valuable metals).

How about a screengrab including 'top' for the older hardware? People always want to know if X distribution can run on Y spec.

soft4u
September 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Any pictures of said busted up laptop? :grin::popcorn:

Lucradia
September 13th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Any pictures of said busted up laptop? :grin::popcorn:

Post Number 4.

ubiquitin.jf
September 13th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I have fond memories of installing Ubuntu 5.04 onto my old Pentium M machine. Such speed! Not such fond memories of using ndiswrapper to get the wifi working, though :P

lpwaqas
September 16th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Lol

I have one of those Dell d600 but instead of waisting it, I donated it to kids (with Edubuntu installed on it) so they play with it all the time and spil cold-drinks all over it and keep it running 24/7 without battery offcourse :D and that makes me so happy that its still being used by someone and its serving better with Edubuntu.