PDA

View Full Version : Earning money as a freelancer?

medic2000
September 12th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Are there anybody here working as a freelancer? I ask because currently i am searching for a job in PHP but in my country the fees are very very low.
Monthly fee of PHP jobs are about 800 - 1000 dollars. Are you making much more money buy working freelancer?

papillion
September 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I work as a freelance IT and software consultant (focused on Linux mostly but also do Windows on occasion) and I make pretty decent money. I do some programming (RealBasic, C/C++, Python, and PHP) and it can be pretty hard to compete. It's hard to explain to a client why you're asking for $50 to $75 USD an hour when some other guy just told him it's a $10 an hour job.

If you love tech and want to work in it, diversify. Learn stuff besides programming and offer your clients some added value. Become their go-to guy for everything (or most) things tech and you'll do fine.

Anthony

LowSky
September 12th, 2011, 02:49 PM
$1000 a job sounds pretty good. And there is no reason you would only do one job a month.

That's coming from someone unemployed.

medic2000
September 12th, 2011, 03:16 PM
$1000 a job sounds pretty good. And there is no reason you would only do one job a month.

That's coming from someone unemployed.

No i mean employed in a company. Generally working in hours 09 - 19 plus overtime work(no extra money for that). So it is hard to do any other job.

-600$ - Rent an apartment: (average) + bills
-250$ - Minimum food
-150$ - Bus, metro etc.
_______
= 1000$ on a month.

But i plan to share apartment with a friend. Then 700$.
There left $300 if it is 1000$ work. But if it is 800$ work you have $100 to spend for other things.

Maybe good for beginning but if freelancing offers more chances...

medic2000
September 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I work as a freelance IT and software consultant (focused on Linux mostly but also do Windows on occasion) and I make pretty decent money. I do some programming (RealBasic, C/C++, Python, and PHP) and it can be pretty hard to compete. It's hard to explain to a client why you're asking for $50 to $75 USD an hour when some other guy just told him it's a $10 an hour job.

If you love tech and want to work in it, diversify. Learn stuff besides programming and offer your clients some added value. Become their go-to guy for everything (or most) things tech and you'll do fine.

Anthony

Anthony, thanks for the answer. But what about finding customers? Isn't it hard? And i am not that a experienced programmer. I know only PHP(thougn i think i am good at it) and a little Python and C. So consulting is not an option for me. But i can do PHP projects even they are large. Maybe i will try sites like freelancer.net.