PDA

View Full Version : No password required/update-manager

kevin2849
September 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I have two installations of 11.10 on two different laptops. Neither one requires me to enter my password to install updates through the update-manager.

Synaptic wants my password to open and I do not use the Software Center.

I am not complaining but isn't this something that should request a password. I am the only user on my computers.

Nothing to solve but maybe I need to adjust something on my system?

RJ12
September 11th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I have two installations of 11.10 on two different laptops. Neither one requires me to enter my password to install updates through the update-manager.

Synaptic wants my password to open and I do not use the Software Center.

I am not complaining but isn't this something that should request a password. I am the only user on my computers.

Nothing to solve but maybe I need to adjust something on my system?

Synaptic runs as root using sudo which needs your password. That's not going to change and thats how it is on every linux system. If you changed it to no password (And we can't tell you how to do that if I'm correct), then you would have a huge security flaw.

I don't know why update-manager doesn't need a password. It was explained somewhere why though if I remember. Just can't think of it.

Edit: I made a thread asking why it doesn't ask for a password with checking for updates, but needs a password to install them which is right here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1774633

kevin2849
September 11th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I searched and did not find that, so thank you for the link. I will follow up on Aptdaemon as that seems to be where I will find the answer. Thanks again.

kmsalex
September 11th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I'm not complaning, and i hope your not either. Seams like every five minitues i'm punching in my 9 digit password. Especially considering in oneiric i'm updating twice a day. Are you realy worryed about someone trying to get root access on your home laptop? I imagine your worried about 2012 as well ;)

mc4man
September 12th, 2011, 01:31 AM
There was change to allow the admin user to update existing packages in U-M without the need for auth.
ck. the changelog (either U-M or aptdaemon, forget

kevin2849
September 12th, 2011, 03:15 AM
kmsalax

As stated in my original post, I am not complaining, just looking to learn.

As for 2012, I have my concerns. ;)