PDA

View Full Version : Unity Dash won't load anymore

luckylukeskywalker
September 11th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Yesterday I was running an up-to-date version of Oneiric. After I opened CCSM (without doing anything with it) my Unity 3D dash disappeared. Because I couldn't find a way to get it back, I rebooted my computer. Unfortunately, the dash still isn't there. The horizontal bar at the top of the screen still loads properly, just as the wallpaper and stuff on the desktop.

I tried updating my system using the recovery boot; to no avail. Unity 2D is still working though. My hardware is well supported, and also 3D shouldn't be a problem as I'm running Compiz smoothly for years already (Intel X3100 graphics).

Can anyone help me getting my dash back?

donpeter06
September 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Which is the graphic card you have?
Try re-installing the Driver from additional driver section.
Before that open ccsm and check if the gnome support is "ticked".

luckylukeskywalker
September 11th, 2011, 02:48 PM
The problem is mainly that I cannot open CCSM or the terminal anymore, as for example alt+F2 or ctrl+alt+t are not working.

The graphics card is an Intel X3100. I think compositing support is not the problem, as workspace switching (ctrl+alt+left/right) displays a super smooth composited switch.

luckylukeskywalker
September 11th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Using Unity 2D I copied a link to the terminal to the desktop, which I could open using Unity 3D. From there I could open CCSM which somehow got all borked. Did some enabling and disabling of plugins and now the dock is back :-)

I still find it weird, but he, that's to be expected with beta software!

Thanks for your help