PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] permissions to write onto file system

Brizlitman
September 10th, 2011, 11:24 PM
i cant place my wireless driver(b43) in the firmware folder because i don't have the permissions to do so. Ubuntu 11.04

praseodym
September 10th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Hi,

the driver already is a part of the kernel. You mean you want to install the firmware? Do you have a wired connection? If so:

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer

should do the trick. Alternatively download the firmware from here:

http://media.cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum/attachments/2480236/Broadcom_Firmware.tar.gz

and unpack it:

sudo tar xvf Broadcom_Firmware.tar.gz -C /lib/firmware/

Brizlitman
September 10th, 2011, 11:35 PM
i don't have access to a wired connection and i can't write onto the ubuntu partition. It says i'm not the owner

haqking
September 10th, 2011, 11:47 PM
i don't have access to a wired connection and i can't write onto the ubuntu partition. It says i'm not the owner

What location ?

i suspect it is owned by root. Root is the superuser in Linux, in Ubuntu the account is disabled by default but still exists so we can still elevate to its priveleges using Sudo.

root owned locations are usually only read only.

See RootSudo (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo)for how to access these areas.

However first of all let us know where you are trying to write to, as doing things with sudo isnt necessarily the best thing just cos you can ;-)

Brizlitman
September 11th, 2011, 12:01 AM
yes it is owned by root. I am trying to write onto the firmware folder in the ubuntu filesystem

Wild Man
September 11th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Hi, do you have access to a computer with internet connection? I have the driver and firmware in a zip file and you could put it on a flash drive and I will give you directions to install it.

Also please post the results of this command so we can make sure what card you have.

lspci -nn | grep 0280
Thank you

Brizlitman
September 11th, 2011, 12:24 AM
i already have the zip file. When i enter the sudo codes, the zip file appears under wireless but the hardware does not work

Wild Man
September 11th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Hi, I need the information I asked for please, to be able to help you.

The zip file I have is on my computer so I have exact directions for installing it, I do not have directions for installing a zip file of unknown origin.
Thank you

Brizlitman
September 11th, 2011, 12:46 AM
01:00.0 Network controller
[0280]: Broadcom Corporation
BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
[14e4:4311] (rev 02)

Wild Man
September 11th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Hi, here are the directions and the zip file I have. We might have to change the commands a little since you have tried to install it already but lets try then we will go from there.

Download the b43 zip file then drag and drop the file to your desktop. Right-click it and select Extract Here, then disconnect your wired connection.

Open a terminal and do:

sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43
sudo cp Desktop/b43/* /lib/firmware/b43
sudo rmmod -f b43
sudo rmmod -f ssb
sudo modprobe b43
Run the commands one at a time.
Thank you