PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new HDD and ubuntu

scudybeef
September 9th, 2011, 01:38 PM
hi,just a quick question about my mates laptop (compaq 6710b),,this was a windows xp machine,,but had trouble down the years,viruses,failures etc,,for the last 6 months,he has been using ubuntu after windows failed again,,,and for what he needs a comp for,,he luv's ubuntu,,,the problem is,,i think his HDD is knackered,,so if he buys a new one(which i can install),,will it just be a case of booting the machine from usb stick and installing ubuntu?or have i missed something...things always seem too easy until a spanner is thrown in the work's :)

thx for looking.

scudybeef
September 10th, 2011, 12:03 PM
bumpety bump bump :)

zeroseven0183
September 10th, 2011, 12:20 PM
if he buys a new one(which i can install),,will it just be a case of booting the machine from usb stick and installing ubuntu?

Yes, installation is as easy as 1,2,3 and that hard drive is good to go. One thing you might consider when installing Ubuntu on the hard drive, which I assume is 320 GB to 500 GB (or more), is the size of the partitions. I'm pretty sure you can do it. :-)

scudybeef
September 11th, 2011, 11:00 AM
thanks for your reply,,very reassuring to know it should be straight forward...the HDD size is 160gig,,which is more space than he needs,,just wondering about the partitions you mentioned,,i've done this before when i left his dodgy windows copy on the machine,,and installed ubuntu on a 20gig partition,,,should i not just install 'out of the box'...if you know what i mean?

thank's for your help with this,,it's appreciated.

howefield
September 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM
"Out of the box" you'll probably get / and /swap partitions. Can be useful to have a separate /home partition as well, makes reinstalling easier because you can format and reinstall over / but leave /home intact and untouched.

I tend to have everything on / but have a separate Data partition where all my stuff goes and all my systems can easily access.

scudybeef
September 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM
^^^^ understood mate,,thanks for explaining that,,big help,,thank's to both of you for your help.