PDA

View Full Version : How to get refund for unused Windows?

Old *ix Geek
September 8th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm waiting for my newest laptop to arrive; it's an HP dv7t and--unfortunately--comes with windoze preinstalled. Every time I get a new computer I'm so anxious to wipe its drive and install Linux that I just suck up losing money to the microsoft tax. This time I'd like to show a little restraint and do whatever it is that's necessary to get that money back! (No promises, though Once the new laptop is in my hot little hands I'll probably immediately stick the 11.04 CD in it and off we go!)

Anyway, does anyone know exactly what the steps are for getting a refund for unused microsoft garbage? Do I have to actually fire up the computer with windoze and do something?

haqking
September 8th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I'm waiting for my newest laptop to arrive; it's an HP dv7t and--unfortunately--comes with windoze preinstalled. Every time I get a new computer I'm so anxious to wipe its drive and install Linux that I just suck up losing money to the microsoft tax. This time I'd like to show a little restraint and do whatever it is that's necessary to get that money back! (No promises, though Once the new laptop is in my hot little hands I'll probably immediately stick the 11.04 CD in it and off we go!)

Anyway, does anyone know exactly what the steps are for getting a refund for unused microsoft garbage? Do I have to actually fire up the computer with windoze and do something?

NO chance ;-)

the price of the OEM licence is included in your laptop purchase.

Though you can go the refuse agreement process.

see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund

good luck

JonM33
September 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM

LOL! Funny. You cannot purchase software and return it afterwards...ever.

As probably stated, the OEM license is bound to the system. If you wanted to see if you could save money you should have contacted the manufacturer and seen if they could have sold you the product without a Windows OEM license. Most likely they would have laughed and told you they couldn't.

The best thing is if you go to Best Buy (or similar store) and buy a system and the sales people will try to sell you on extra crap. Telling them, "I'm just going to wipe it and put Ubuntu Linux on it," shuts them up rather quickly.

haqking
September 8th, 2011, 08:13 PM
LOL! Funny. You cannot purchase software and return it afterwards...ever.

Well not strictly true, you can often return if the original packaging and seal has not been broken...or with Windows if you refuse the agreement there is a track to refund but success rate is shoddy ;-)

Drenriza
September 8th, 2011, 08:16 PM
NO chance ;-)

the price of the OEM licence is included in your laptop purchase.

Though you can go the refuse agreement process.

see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund

good luck

Not true. In Denmark where i live Microsoft DK refunds you the OS if you have not activated it when you ask for the refund.

JonM33
September 8th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Well not strictly true, you can often return if the original packaging and seal has not been broken...or with Windows if you refuse the agreement there is a track to refund but success rate is shoddy ;-)

The OEM license requires that the license (and key) be placed on the system itself via a sticker. It's in the OEM EULA. You can't rip that off and send it back for some sort of refund.

Most OEM systems (from Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, etc) also do NOT come with installation media but a system restore CD. The actual Windows software is on a system restore partition on the computer.

So how are you going to accomplish this again?

haqking
September 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
The OEM license requires that the license (and key) be placed on the system itself via a sticker. It's in the OEM EULA. You can't rip that off and send it back for some sort of refund.

Most OEM systems (from Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, etc) also do NOT come with installation media but a system restore CD. The actual Windows software is on a system restore partition on the computer.

So how are you going to accomplish this again?

I know about the OEM.

i replied to your statement about software never being returned for refund.

i assume you meant installed software then ;-)

you can go and buy software in a box and return it as long as packaging has not been opened.

As for the OEM, like i said in my first post, NO CHANCE ;-)

and as for my statement about refusing the agreement, see my first link, there are a few cases like i said.

However as i originally said, UNLIKELY

JonM33
September 8th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I know about the OEM.

i replied to your statement about software never being returned for refund.

i assume you meant installed software then ;-)

you can go and buy software in a box and return it as long as packaging has not been opened.

As for the OEM, like i said in my first post, NO CHANCE ;-)

and as for my statement about refusing the agreement, see my first link, there are a few cases like i said.

However as i originally said, UNLIKELY

I concur. :D

Jerry N
September 8th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Those OEMs pay far far less than the retail price for Windows so even if you were get your money back I probably wouldn't be enough to make it worth fighting for.

Jerry

Ms_Angel_D
September 8th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Personally I would just start buying no os systems, or linux preinstalled systems. Less of a hassle.

jwbrase
September 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Those OEMs pay far far less than the retail price for Windows so even if you were get your money back I probably wouldn't be enough to make it worth fighting for.

Jerry

If all you're out to do is save a couple bucks on the price of your machine, it's certainly not worth it. You could probably just work overtime for the time you'd spend fighting for your refund and earn more money than you'd save.

But if you're out to make sure that Microsoft doesn't get one cent towards their monopoly from the purchase of your Linux machine if you can help it, whatever the inconvenience to yourself, it's very much worth it. Even if you don't get your refund, you still cost either Microsoft or the vendor that sold you the machine (or both) the time that their salesdroid(s) spent arguing with you.

Every person that tries to fight a monopoly, even unsuccessfully, weakens the monopoly.

Of course, another option is to go to vendors that sell machines with Linux pre-installed, like System76.

Drenriza
September 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Jesus christ.
As i said. In Denmark Microsoft DK made an official statement, saying they will refund all OEM,s as long as the key has not been activated. Just contact your local Microsoft team/vendor/w/e.

And is this a hassel? Nooooo it takes about the time it takes me to call a 8 digit number, press 1 to times, and then say "refund of OEM please + key". Chi ching. Money saved.

And if Microsoft DK does so, others probably also does.

Old *ix Geek
September 8th, 2011, 10:33 PM
LOL! Funny. You cannot purchase software and return it afterwards...ever.Well, I've heard of Linux users getting refunds for unwanted/unused windows crap, so I know it's POSSIBLE.

As probably stated, the OEM license is bound to the system. If you wanted to see if you could save money you should have contacted the manufacturer and seen if they could have sold you the product without a Windows OEM license. Most likely they would have laughed and told you they couldn't.Every time I get ready to buy another computer I contact HP and tell them I do not want any microsoft garbage on it, and then they say "we're contractually bound to preinstall windoze on all of our computers..." Then I tell them that sucks, that I'm a Linux user and do not want M$ crap--and definitely don't want to PAY for it, etc., but it is what it is.

The best thing is if you go to Best Buy (or similar store) and buy a system and the sales people will try to sell you on extra crap. Telling them, "I'm just going to wipe it and put Ubuntu Linux on it," shuts them up rather quickly.Yeah, but the laptop I wanted is an HP and I always order directly from HP. I'd had my eye on this particular laptop for a while, and when I got an e-mail touting a sale on it I took the plunge.

IWantFroyo
September 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Personally I would just start buying no os systems, or linux preinstalled systems. Less of a hassle.

I've been looking for these, and I never found anything besides System76. Does anyone know where to find them?

As for the OP's question, the success rate with HP computers seems to be very small. Wikipedia only lists three cases. One had to go to court, one had to spend a lot of time working on it, and another only got $20 bucks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund#HP

jwbrase
September 8th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Every time I get ready to buy another computer I contact HP and tell them I do not want any microsoft garbage on it, and then they say "we're contractually bound to preinstall windoze on all of our computers..." Then I tell them that sucks, that I'm a Linux user and do not want M$ crap--and definitely don't want to PAY for it, etc., but it is what it is.

I'm surprised they'd actually admit this. IANAL, but I'm fairly certain that such contracts break anti-trust law *hard*, and, as such, are unenforceable.

Ms_Angel_D
September 8th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I've been looking for these, and I never found anything besides System76. Does anyone know where to find them?

As for the OP's question, the success rate with HP computers seems to be very small. Wikipedia only lists three cases. One had to go to court, one had to spend a lot of time working on it, and another only got $20 bucks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund#HP

No OS:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=6&sel=Detail%3B163_100_21711_21711

Linux PC's
http://linuxpreloaded.com/ Lists links to many sites which sell linux pre-installed computers.

Old *ix Geek
September 9th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I've been looking for these, and I never found anything besides System76. Does anyone know where to find them?I know there are other companies, but off the top of my head I can't answer the question right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund#HPThanks for the info. I guess I'll do what I always do...wipe the drive, install Linux, and be merrily on my way, and just suck up losing more money to the micro$oft tax. It's not really worth the hassle. Or is it? :confused: Even if I only got $1 back, at least it would send a message that Linux users don't want to pay for garbage they're never going to use. Oh, crap, I don't know what I'll do!

Old *ix Geek
September 9th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I'm surprised they'd actually admit this.Here are the pertinent portions from two of their recent replies via e-mail:

Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard.

Due to licensing agreements with Microsoft, all current consumer HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario "Customize-to-Order" and Pre-configured desktop and notebook PC Series feature the new Microsoft Windows 7 operating system. There is no option for selecting a PC without an Operating System on these series. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with this issue.

Thank you for contacting the HP Home & Home Office Sales Center.

I understand that you would like to know on when does HP offers Linux Operating System on our computers. I must say, you've made a great choice of choosing HP for your computing needs. We appreciate you for choosing HP for your computing needs. I will be very happy to address your concerns today.

I know how eager you are to know on when we will offer Linux on our system. However, I do apologize to inform you that there is no update that HP will offer Linux on our computers. No worries, feedback like yours is highly appreciated. I'll make sure that I could raise this concern to my management team.

IANAL, but I'm fairly certain that such contracts break anti-trust law *hard*, and, as such, are unenforceable.IANAL either, and I really have no idea if contracts like this break anti-trust laws, but I'd sure like to find out!

Grenage
September 9th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I know there are other companies, but off the top of my head I can't answer the question right now.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll do what I always do...wipe the drive, install Linux, and be merrily on my way, and just suck up losing more money to the micro$oft tax. It's not really worth the hassle. Or is it? :confused: Even if I only got $1 back, at least it would send a message that Linux users don't want to pay for garbage they're never going to use. Oh, crap, I don't know what I'll do!

Unfortunately it also sends out the message that Linux users are unable to read the contents of a package deal. Wouldn't buy a Christmas hamper, then ask for a refund of the chicken.

The only time people manage to get money back is when the poor fellows getting the calls simply can't take it any more. The time that's being wasted exceeds the value of the licence; Is say value of the licence, because there's no real refund occurring - they just bung the customer a few quid to shut them up.

Vote with your wallet when you buy a PC.

Tibuda
September 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Just use Windows, it is a great operating system.

Famicube64
September 9th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Just use Windows, it is a great operating system.
Just use Haiku. You've probably never heard of it.

_d_
September 9th, 2011, 01:28 PM
This topic has been brought up before, and if I recall correctly, both the US and UK have suspended all refunds for unused Windows regardless if you use it or not.

3rdalbum
September 9th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Unfortunately it also sends out the message that Linux users are unable to read the contents of a package deal. Wouldn't buy a Christmas hamper, then ask for a refund of the chicken.

This.

The only time people manage to get money back is when the poor fellows getting the calls simply can't take it any more... there's no real refund occurring - they just bung the customer a few quid to shut them up.

This also.

clanky
September 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM
First of all, talking about "microsoft garbage", "windows crap" and "windoze" isn't big, isn't clever and doesn't really impress anyone.

Secondly if you didn't want Windows why did you buy a computer with Windows installed, you won't get a refund and you don't deserve to, if you really have such a bee in your bonnet about an operating system then buy something which doesn't morally offend you, it's really not that difficult surely.

overdrank
September 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Closed for review. Remain closed, enough of the o/s bashing. :)