PDA

View Full Version : The reason I like and use Linux what's yours?

rmcellig
September 8th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I hear so many negative comments about Linux. It's hard, it's complicated, it's not on the same level as Windows or Mac OS X..... I would like to relate a simple story that many of you may not think is a big deal but to my Mom (age 75), it means the world.

Many years ago (1999), I bought my Mom an iMac hoping that she would find a computer that was easy to use. She had that Mac for over ten years and loved it!! She was telling all of her friends about the Mac and how easy and intuitive it was. I would have to agree being a die hard Mac user since 1988.

When my Mom moved in with my wife and I she needed a computer to use. She gave her iMac away a while back because it was starting to show it's age. I had to get her a computer but did not have the money to buy her a new one.

A few years ago, a friend of mine gave me both of her Dell desktop computers (circa 2001 and 2003). She was so turned off by Windows that she decided to buy an iMac. I was about to throw out the first Dell when suddenly it dawned on me that maybe I could use Linux on it. My Mom had very specific things she wanted on her desktop. A while back we bought her a HP laptop with Vista. She hated it! Way too confusing. All she wanted was drop dead simple access to Facebook, her email, banking, as well as a 411 link to look up phone numbers. Windows and the Mac were out of the question so I installed Ubuntu on the old Dell desktop machine. She loves it!! After a year of use, she is telling all her friends about it.

This goes to show you the scalability of Linux. From a newbie who could care less about computers and just wants something simple (my Mom), to the highest order of geekdom, I really believe that Linux is a really solid tool for computing. By the way, I am typing this using Ubuntu on my 24" iMac which I dual boot with Mac OS X. I spend about 80% of the time in Ubuntu and 20% in the Mac OS.

Enclosed is a screenshot of the panel that my Mom wanted for her daily computing.

If you have a positive story to tell, I'm sure many people would be interested. Heck, I now have Ubuntu on both of my laptops dual booting with Windows 7. I spend 95% of my time in Ubuntu and the rest in Windows 7.

kaldor
September 8th, 2011, 05:50 PM
It's use cases like the OP's where I think Linux is the best choice. For non-tech literate people who have someone to help out, there's nothing better than being able to have a free (as in price) OS on hand and be able to customize the GUI to make it familiar or simple. If all the hardware works fine, it's perfect. Call me crazy for saying it, but it's true from my experience.

I use Linux because I like the idea of open source. I'll always use the best tool for the job, though I always prefer using something under a FOSS license. For me, Linux does everything I'd ever need a computer for. I already used FOSS when I was a Windows user, so the transition was easy and painless.

Also, I prefer to avoid putting more money into huge corporations' pockets when I do not need to.

oldsoundguy
September 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I use it because I got tired of "fixing and maintaining" an obtrusive operating system that had a tendency to fail for no particular reason.

Converted with Ubuntu 6.04 and love a system that stays out of my face and lets me do the things I want and need to do without dancing through hoops and answering to "mother may I".

But, I am a desktop user, not a laptop user .. so the desktop area has been rock solid and stable for quite a while now. From what I read on this forum, laptop users are still having issues with the proprietary nature of some of the laptops.

ninjaaron
September 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I like linux because of what it teaches me, like how to write a script that will download thousands of pictures of girl's butts in one go.

Linuxratty
September 8th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I use Linux because I like the idea of open source. I'll always use the best tool for the job, though I always prefer using something under a FOSS license. For me, Linux does everything I'd ever need a computer for. I already used FOSS when I was a Windows user, so the transition was easy and painless.

Also, I prefer to avoid putting more money into huge corporations' pockets when I do not need to.

I agree here..For me,Fire Fox was the gateway "drug" to open source..Once I saw how nice it was,I was much more willing to take the next step..And as time went buy, I came to loathe Windows more and more.
I use Linus because it's dependable,rock solid,safe,secure and it has really nice perks,like Synaptic.

XubuRoxMySox
September 8th, 2011, 09:07 PM
A simple OS for a simple kid. I can't help but learn as I go, and when I totally mess up, I can re-install the whole thing and start over again - but without losing my saved pictures and music and schoolwork and stuff. Can't do that with Windows.

I like being free of the necessity to install all the expensive, intrusive, resource-hogging bloatware that is needed to keep Windows running well.

I like not having to scour the web for a "trusted" site from which to download an application I want, then hope that it doesn't have some embedded malware in it. We have repositories! I like the way the Debian folks put it: "There's an apt for that!" And Ubuntu has among the largest repositories of any distro. It's one of the reasons a lot of people come back to Ubuntu after exploring elsewhere: Choose a distro and you're also choosing it's repositories!

I like the price! I own it (not "I'm licensed to use it," but I own it)! For free.

I like the community. I never bothered with geeky stuff and two years ago I would never have imagined taking part in a forum about an operating system of all things. Borrrrinnnnnnng. But this community sort of grows on you, and next thing you know, your "inner geek" is happily learning and helping others!

rmcellig
September 8th, 2011, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=XubuRoxMySox;11231776]A simple OS for a simple kid. I can't help but learn as I go, and when I totally mess up, I can re-install the whole thing and start over again - but without losing my saved pictures and music and schoolwork and stuff. Can't do that with Windows.

I really like what you say here. It is so true. Do you use Remastersys to save a copy of your Ubuntu install to DVD so that you can retrieve it if you totally mess up Ubuntu on your computer?

I would like to try Remastersys because it looks like a great way to have a copy of your current Ubuntu install on DVD so that if anything happens, it's like a Live CD where you can just install your Ubuntu install back to your HD.

leclerc65
September 8th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Can't do that with Windows.
Yes you can. Create a D partition and keep your data there.
As for me I hate to have tons of extra to maintain Windows.

Erik1984
September 8th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I like linux because of what it teaches me, like how to write a script that will download thousands of pictures of girl's butts in one go.

Where's that script? :popcorn:

IWantFroyo
September 8th, 2011, 10:18 PM
There's a Linux distro for everyone. While I'm geeking out with the "hard" stuff like Arch, my more elderly relatives use Ubuntu 10.04 or something similarly simple.
A week ago or so, some Jolicloud update wrecked one of my relative's computers. I'm going to have to go check it out...

lykwydchykyn
September 8th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I like that my work desktop, laptop, home desktop, wife's laptop, kids' computers, and server can all run different desktop environments (or no desktop environment) as befits the hardware, usage, and user; and yet we're all using the same basic OS.

I like being able to take any random bunch of spare parts someone gives me, piece it into a computer, put Debian or Lubuntu on it and have a new desktop computer to use. Even if those parts are pretty dusty.

I like that most Linux distros give me the tools to make and build new stuff right out of the box. In the 80's our computers always shipped with some kind of BASIC or other scripting environment. It encouraged you to experiment and learn, and build your own solutions to problems. Linux carries on that tradition pretty well.

Old *ix Geek
September 8th, 2011, 11:09 PM
There are a number of reasons I *LOVE* and use Linux. Among them:

1) My introduction to computing was back in the mid-'80s on UNIX. (Okay, technically it was on a Commodore 64 in the early '80s, but that was just for fun.) I learned how to do everything imaginable on the *nix system I set up, programmed and administered at work. I had no idea that other, inferior operating systems didn't do stuff I took for granted, such as multitasking and being multi-user, having multiple desktops, and having infinite power and ability via the shell. The first time I had the misfortune of using a DOS box I was shocked at how awful and primitive it was. :eek: So, for me, as I near 30 years of being a *nix user, it's a no-brainer that windoze just falls way too short to even be considered a viable option.

2) I have a strong dislike of mega-monopolies in general, and microsoft in particular. Their business practices have been shameful and I want no part of supporting them. Even if their so-called operating system could hold a candle to Linux, I wouldn't use it.

3) I love the whole concept of open source. I support the projects I use by making donations to them--and feeling GOOD about it, which is not something I'd be able to say about pouring money into the M$ machine.

4) The people I've converted to Linux have adapted easily and love it. My mother is a great example. She'd used DOS/windows for 20+ years, but when I wiped her drive and installed Kubuntu she didn't even need instructions on how to use it. And, as I've said before!, my mother is probably the least computer savvy person I've ever known. She's also over 80. She loves never having to reboot, she loves the games I've installed, and she loves the way it looks. She doesn't know what a "command line" is, nor does she need to. Her use of a computer is limited to the "point and click" method. When I STILL hear people--ignorant people--talk about how difficult Linux is to use, how hard it is to install, how you have to know cryptic command line commands in order to use it, etc., I just laugh. If they actually USED Linux they'd know none of that is true any more.

So there you have it, at least most of it! That's all I can think of right now.

snip3r8
September 8th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I like linux because its customisable and i can edit it to fit my needs,in fact customisable sums it up(i can even customise the code),this community is also filled with decent brainy people,i would love to live in an ubuntu country filled with the kind of people who are in this forum.

rmcellig
September 8th, 2011, 11:57 PM
There are a number of reasons I *LOVE* and use Linux. Among them:

My mother is a great example. She'd used DOS/windows for 20+ years, but when I wiped her drive and installed Kubuntu she didn't even need instructions on how to use it. And, as I've said before!, my mother is probably the least computer savvy person I've ever known. She's also over 80. She loves never having to reboot, she loves the games I've installed, and she loves the way it looks. She doesn't know what a "command line" is, nor does she need to. Her use of a computer is limited to the "point and click" method. of right now.

maybe your mom and mine should get together and stat a linux user group for seniors :) there are so many misconceptions out there about linux.

oldsoundguy
September 9th, 2011, 01:02 AM
maybe your mom and mine should get together and stat a linux user group for seniors :) there are so many misconceptions out there about linux.

Most of those misconceptions are from people that tried some form of Linux ten years ago and could not get it to work with their WinModem so it was "no good" then, has to be "no good" now!

No form of logic or educated discussion can convince them otherwise.
Yet, they are constantly complaining about the problems they are having with Windows and constantly trying out new "protection" programs and methods of maintenance! (And, every new version of Windows is sooooooo much better than the last .. until it slows to a crawl and crashes and has to be F&F'd and re-installed!)

I even have a couple of friends that will use a Live Linux disk to repair their Windows install and recover lost data from a crash, but ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to actually INSTALL Linux of any kind and use it as an operating system!

Think they are masochists!

snip3r8
September 9th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Most of those misconceptions are from people that tried some form of Linux ten years ago and could not get it to work with their WinModem so it was "no good" then, has to be "no good" now!

No form of logic or educated discussion can convince them otherwise.
Yet, they are constantly complaining about the problems they are having with Windows and constantly trying out new "protection" programs and methods of maintenance! (And, every new version of Windows is sooooooo much better than the last .. until it slows to a crawl and crashes and has to be F&F'd and re-installed!)

I even have a couple of friends that will use a Live Linux disk to repair their Windows install and recover lost data from a crash, but ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to actually INSTALL Linux of any kind and use it as an operating system!

Think they are masochists!
Windows is a disease that feeds on those who have not the knowledge

SirBismuth
September 9th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Windows is a disease that feeds on those who have not the knowledge

Heh, I like this...

...however, I don't claim that my choice of OS is better than anyone else's. I will promote Linux and opensource, and specifically Ubuntu, to people, but if they don't want to try it and would rather stick to Windows, I am not going to force them to change.

I completely dropped Windows almost two years ago, and don't regret it, and have been having less and less issues with hardware as new versions of Ubuntu are released. Decided I wanted a printer that worked OOTB, did my research, got an HP 3-in-1, and it worked OOTB. Only found the poster that shows you the steps to get it working in Windows, once I had the printer up and running in Ubuntu, made me lol.

I use my experiences with the printer when promoting the use of Linux the people. But do emphasise the fact that I did my research, and didn't just buy any old printer.

Am still using an old PIV (+/- 5 years old), that runs just fine with 10.10, and plan to upgrade to an i5 or i7 system fairly soon depending on the budget.

B

snip3r8
September 9th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Heh, I like this...

...however, I don't claim that my choice of OS is better than anyone else's. I will promote Linux and opensource, and specifically Ubuntu, to people, but if they don't want to try it and would rather stick to Windows, I am not going to force them to change.

I completely dropped Windows almost two years ago, and don't regret it, and have been having less and less issues with hardware as new versions of Ubuntu are released. Decided I wanted a printer that worked OOTB, did my research, got an HP 3-in-1, and it worked OOTB. Only found the poster that shows you the steps to get it working in Windows, once I had the printer up and running in Ubuntu, made me lol.

I use my experiences with the printer when promoting the use of Linux the people. But do emphasise the fact that I did my research, and didn't just buy any old printer.

Am still using an old PIV (+/- 5 years old), that runs just fine with 10.10, and plan to upgrade to an i5 or i7 system fairly soon depending on the budget.

B
Its not that Linux is better ,Its that Windows is the worst operating system in existence

IWantFroyo
September 9th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Its not that Linux is better ,Its that Windows is the worst operating system in existence

Probably not the worst (the worst is an even earlier version of Windows ;)), but Linux generally outperforms it.

What I hate about Windows is how complicated it is. Tutorials make me go through 5 minutes of button clicking for Windows, while in Linux, it's a simple command.

Also, Linux has a wonderful community. These forums are the best I've ever been on (Thanks, mods!). They're even nice for lighthearted chatting, which is probably very rare in tech forums.

rmcellig
September 9th, 2011, 12:44 PM
IWantFroyo

I have to chime in here and agree 100%. I love this forum and the wealth of knowledge and expertise. My second favorite forum next to the Yola support forum, with honorary mention to the Linux Questions forum. :)