PDA

View Full Version : upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 Beta has corrupt desktop

bsmith1051
September 7th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I had a relatively vanilla install of 11.04 (Unity desktop) which I just upgraded to 11.10 beta using the online process, i.e., I opened a command prompt and entered 'update-manager -d'. The install went smoothly and there were no error messages.

After reboot, however, when i logged-in there's no apps or menus? my desktop files are still there but there's no pop-up shortcuts, and across the top of the screen I only have the Nautilus drop-downs -- File, Edit, View, Go, Bookmarks, Help. Also, about a minute after logging-in there was a crash report which opened FF, else I wouldn't have been able to get online to post this question! (Now, for cya, I windowed the FF app and drag/dropped a desktop shortcut to this forum.)

After posting this I'm going to try ALT-F1 to get the command-line again, then force a shutdown/reboot. Hopefully it's all just a one-time glitch? But if not, how do I reset the Unity desktop or config?

bsmith1051
September 7th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Good news. After reboot the desktop has loaded correctly. Hopefully the bug report (Launchpad) will help identify the initial error. I doubt many users would know how to use ALT-F1?

Also, in poking around the new OS I found that the graphics is 'unknown' so maybe that's the problem. Of course, I have an Nvidia 8300 IGP so it's nothing unusual.

UPDATE Discovered that I was already running the Nvidia proprietary video-drivers so maybe the 'generic' System Info detects that as 'unknown'