PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which processor to choose for a home server?

Al_Gabone
September 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hi to all! Need Help regarding the choice of hardware for the server. Will be used in a closed private network, it is assumed OS Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x64 server, web server Apache2.2 with three sites at cms Drupal6 - 40 people online at every site in the middle and the speed limit access to the web server up to 512 kbit \ s, MySQL5. 12 three - six databases, the total volume to 10 gigabytes, PHP5.2 - sake Drupal, OpenVPN for proper operation of this private network, FileZilla - as a file server for the mirror Ubuntu distribution. The datacenter is clearly inappropriate, as much as they and the network - closed (except for FTP access) and the capacity of this server - obviously with a tenfold excess. Above all, I would like to have as it will cause umyat to the minimum required household resources, in order to save energy, equipment costs, gemoroynosti arrangements. There are thought to make the case for processor-based AMD Athlon II x4 640 - there is doubt as to his capacity, or based on Intel i3-2100T - attracts TPD decreased and, in spite of the dual-core, superior performance in Athlon. His main drawback - the price of such a platform will be twice as high. Has anyone done something similar, can advise what? I will be very grateful if somebody tell you about the hardware configuration of your home ubuntu server.

e79
September 7th, 2011, 04:18 PM
10.04 LTS x64 server, web server Apache2.2 with three sites at cms Drupal6 - 40 people online at every site in the middle and the speed limit access to the web server up to 512 kbit \ s, MySQL5. 12 three - six databases, the total volume to 10 gigabytes, PHP5.2 - sake Drupal, OpenVPN for proper operation of this private network, FileZilla - as a file server for the mirror Ubuntu distribution

You call that a 'Home Server"....:confused:

Seriously, go for a Intel Quad-Core Xeon or something similar....

Just my $0.02...

Al_Gabone
September 7th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Seriously, go for a Intel Quad-Core

Thank you very much. Is there a way to make a calculation of the required hardware resources of the system? I would appreciate a link ...

e79
September 7th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I'm by no mean an engineer and wouldn't know how to calculate it unless I'd see a live example of what you are trying to do.

But have a look here nonetheless:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/embedded/hwsw/hardware/xeon

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-processor-e7-family.html