PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newb: Not getting sound from audio input jack.

noahdiehl
September 7th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Hi everyone,

Total newb here (just installed Ubuntu yesterday) but have been able to troubleshoot a few issues by scouring the forums but I got one I am not finding anything on (sorry in advance if I missed a post similar to this that has been resolved).

I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 Unity on an HP Pavilion a6109n Desktop PC (specs say the mother board is a "Asus M2N68-LA"). I am using the on board audio (front and rear jacks are giving me the same issue) and I am not able to pump sound to my speakers from the audio input jacks. I have sound... just nothing from the input jacks.

I opened the "Sound Preferences" and under "Input" I am able to to select "Audio Line-In" in the "Connector" spot... and when I connect my iPhone and push play I notice that the "Input level" indicator bounces around as if it's getting something... but I get nothing out of my speakers. :confused:

Well, being a new to Ubuntu I am sure I am missing something simple... might anyone be able to help?... to please who ever made these emoticons there is a bucket of popcorn in it for ya.

:popcorn:

Thanks for any help you guys can give,
Noah the newb

Daniel_JS87
September 7th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Open a terminal (ctl+alt+T) and type alsamixer. Check the levels for Master, Front, and Line.

noahdiehl
September 7th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Oh, nice... CTRL+ALT+T was new to me, lol.

I found that "Line" and "Line 1" were at 0, turned them up all the way and exited... but still nothin'.

noahdiehl
September 7th, 2011, 01:04 AM
If it helps at all "Card: HDA NVidia/Chip: Realtek ALC1200".

Daniel_JS87
September 7th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7279149#post7279149. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7279149#post7279149)

noahdiehl
September 7th, 2011, 10:44 PM
No dice :/

I have audio, but I can can't seem to use the input jack.

I did...

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/hda_intel.conf

and paste this in it.

Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=auto probe_mask=1

...did not help the problem but now I notice if I try to "Test Speakers" under "Hardware" in the "Sound Preferences" don't any sound from the test... so un-did what I just did, lol.

Thanks for trying to help me.

noahdiehl
September 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Bump

as2000
September 13th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Install gamix. I had the same issue with my desktop and once I installed it, I played around with the controls and turned off Independent HP and it worked.

JooseyJay
September 14th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Had the same problem with my sound, I don't remember everything I did but one of them was:

options snd-hda-intel model=basicAlso I did pretty much step 1-6 from this page...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure

noahdiehl
September 27th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Installing gamix did the trick... also known as ALSA Mixer in the Software Center.

Thanks sooooo much dude!

:popcorn: